Baby Cribs/Beds
I have two pregnant daughters, one with twins. Both are due late summer to fall so I have some time.

I know I will be making a crib for one of them, possibly both.

I am looking for something that can be converted from a crib to toddler’s bed to child’s bed. I have been looking at the Wood Magazine 3 in 1 bed plans and if I go with that one, will probably do some modifications as I am not a big fan of those solid sides. That also has two different foot boards, one for the crib and child’s bed, and another for the toddler’s bed. I would like to possibly eliminate the need for two different foot boards.

I am interested in seeing what other woodnetters have built and/or what other plans are out there.
First of all, Congratulations! New babies are exciting for everyone! I have built the 3 in 1 Wood Magazine bed 4x for different friends and family. I always omit the toddler rail. The first one I built was for our first Son, and we were able to transition him without the use of the toddler foot board. It is a good idea, but not really a necessity. I couldn't see the return on the extra effort required.

As far as the solid ends, each one I have built has slats that match the head/foot board instead of the plywood panels. I think it really makes the crib stand out.
This past weekend I completed a crib for my first grandchild to be born this week. I searched online for plans for a basic crib and found none, but I found a picture on pinterest and used that as a starting point for my design. I used standard bed hardware ordered from Rockler, so I can take the sideboards off from the headboard and footboard. In the future I can turn it into a youth bed if I want by making a longer sideboard. Something for you to think about.
This one's from slightly reinterpreted Rockler, which was, originally, from Woodsmith, I believe. If you plan on reusing the footboard, I'd make your corners out of 2+ x 2+ stock to accept rails. With no drop sides any more, it actually simplifies the conversion.

Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Steve,

Did you use the hardware kit from Product America? How was the quality of the kit?
My daughter is due in November, I too will be making a crib... so I will be watching for Cribs and info...
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I made the 8 posts out of 1 1/2 inch square maple. Purchased the following hardware from Rockler.... Heavy Duty Wrought Steel Bed Rail Fasteners (4-Pack)-Select Size .
The Products America kits are good. The crib I made is now on the third grandbaby and nothing has been replaced. Have fun building and putting them to sleep in it.
I built this one awhile ago. Based very loosely on Wood magazine's design along with a blatant rip off from a catalog pic. Its Red Oak. I can't say I care for the finish, but then, it wasn't my idea. Like Wood's plan, this is done with knock down hardware and will convert to a twin bed.
Now that's cool !!!