cross cut saw sharpening question
Was a saw sharpening weekend. I think I got rip saws down. On one of my cross cut saws I ended up with big tooth followed by small tooth syndrome. I think it was because I wend from sitting to standing when I did one of the sides. Is there a way of fixing this without filing all the teeth down and starting from scratch? thanks.
You can go back to the littler gullets and file with an emphasis either to the left or to the right (as needed) to make the resulting pattern a little more uniform. It's an iterative job but it is possible to recover.
Chris
When I look at the teeth from one side, it gets that appearance, at least to me. Looks like they are uneven, when they are even. I would try it out and see how it cuts.

I do see how changing from sitting to standing could change the angle of the file.
C. in Indy said:

You can go back to the littler gullets and file with an emphasis either to the left or to the right (as needed) to make the resulting pattern a little more uniform. It's an iterative job but it is possible to recover.

That will correct the little vs. big problem, but no matter how you file, you will reduce the height of at least one tooth. It is virtually impossible to file without taking height off the point of a tooth.

The best solution is to rejoint the teeth, and then restart the process. One or two strokes per gullet. Concentrate on the shallower gullets until you have uniform spacing, then one to two strokes per tooth until you're done. A bit more pressure toward the toe or heel as required to maintain even spacing. The advantage of jointing is that the flats will telegraph to you how much you need to take off and in which direction.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
thanks for all the good tips and PM on a link! I will learn this saw sarpening thing yet.