Initial Impressions of Qualspray Spray Gun
(07-28-2016, 09:54 AM)jteneyck Wrote: That's the one, and that's what I paid for it.  The only way to order it is by phone, as far as I can tell.  But Jeff was there when I called, shipped it the same day, and I received it the next morning.  

John

Well, Rob and I met up at the KC Woodworkers Guild this morning for a 'Spray-A-Palooza" (his term
Crazy ), where we tried out 3 different guns.

#1 The famous purple HF HVLP $10
#2 My Big Box Store Wagner HVLP $50
#3 Rob's SprayFine A401 4-stage Turbine HVLP $600 (approx.)

We sprayed tinted water, 1.5# cut Shellac, and also some GF Brick Red Milkpaint. That was to give me a try at various viscosities.

We test sprayed on large sheets of cardboard, and then on some 2'x2' 1/4" red oak panels I brought.

Without going into tons of detail, here are a few impressions I came away with;

- The HF model actually worked pretty well. For the money, it's no wonder why it is on the WWZ HF Gems list. It's a little finicky, but once you get it dialed in, it is a capable unit.
 -  The Wagner probably didn't work much better than the HF purple gun, and it doesn't have a lot of fine adjustment at the lower end of product emission. It did great on the milk paint, and decent on the shellac, but it was really outperformed by the SprayFine turbine. The Wagner just didn't adjust as easily. The adjustments are more coarse.
 - The SprayFine was pretty spectacular. Other than Rob accidentally bumping the remote start occasionally when we were mixing or prepping, it worked about as well as I could imagine. Remember, I'm a rookie at this spray finishing, so my impressions aren't honed by years of practice and experience with other units.

My takeaway? Although I think I still want the QualSpray HVLP Conversion kit that John has spoken so highly of, I wish I had some practical experience with it. My only qualm now is that if the adjustments aren't as fine as I'd expect, then I may not be thrilled with the purchase, even though I want to be. I'm going to ponder for a couple days before I decide on the QualSpray.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Little update here...

I've called Homestead Finishing 7 times over the last couple weeks, leaving messages 3 or 4 times so far. No responses. His Ebay store didn't have this set.

Today, I called again, and actually was able to talk with Jeff and placed my order for the AM6008/PPS. He must be a busy man, and rightly so for a man of his expertise. He was helpful on the phone, although he did sound rushed. He answered all my questions, though, and I'm feeling positive about the call.

While I'm not thrilled with the delay in getting my order in, I'm hoping the setup makes up for it. He sounded surprised that his Ebay store didn't have the item shown, and he said he will fix that.

I can't wait to get it. I have 3 projects in waiting. One for paint and 2 for clears.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(08-29-2016, 02:09 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Little update here...

I've called Homestead Finishing 7 times over the last couple weeks, leaving messages 3 or 4 times so far. No responses. His Ebay store didn't have this set.

Today, I called again, and actually was able to talk with Jeff and placed my order for the AM6008/PPS. He must be a busy man, and rightly so for a man of his expertise. He was helpful on the phone, although he did sound rushed. He answered all my questions, though, and I'm feeling positive about the call.

While I'm not thrilled with the delay in getting my order in, I'm hoping the setup makes up for it. He sounded surprised that his Ebay store didn't have the item shown, and he said he will fix that.

I can't wait to get it. I have 3 projects in waiting. One for paint and 2 for clears.

Sweet!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Looks like some kind of database hiccup because I can see your original post as well as my quote and then you were able to quote the post.

Fun times.

Let me know when you get the gizmo!
WTH is wrong with this thread??? Three or four of my posts have now gone missing...????
Something about threaded vs non-threaded views?  Near as I can tell all are here.
Now I see them all, but I had to click on the highlighted "Last Post" from the Forum view to see my last one and yours, Rob. Nuts.
I've had a hard time seeing them also.
I received my new QualSpray AM-6008 PPS today. I was home and working on installing all the 220v line and conduit when UPS pulled up and brought it in for me.

After pulling the blowmold box out of the cardboard, I opened it and you know what the first thing I noticed was??

A sticker right in the middle of the gun handle that said, "Made in Taiwan". 
Laugh

Oh well, I pulled off the sticker and just stared at it and inspected it for awhile. It's purty. I won't get a chance to try it out until late next week, though. The electrician is going to hook up the 220v and inspect my handiwork early next week, and then I have to fabricate a bracket for my big new compressor. Sometime after that, I'll start spraying.

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Thank you for the thread fellows, how beefy of compressors are you all using with the non turbine set up? Down at 29psi i suspect a lot of compressors could keep up, but perhaps my impressions of their abilities are flawed..

are we talking $2-3K compressors you would see an amateur car painter using that stand 4' tall and have 5hp or more motors, or we talking some pancakes here?