Stationary belt sander vs disc sander?
Hi Jgourlay,

Stationary belt sanders are always better. A combination belt-disc sander is also available which is quite a valuable thing in a woodworking shop. It's two tools in one. The disc is great for precise edge work whereas belt allows you to flatten faces and edges, shape contours and smooth inside curves. There are a number of websites from where you can get these machines online at an affordable rate and at your convenience. Here I am sharing a link with you and  I hope it will be helpful for you.

http://www.machinespotter.com/

Cheers!!
I was at Sears the other day and they are showing a 6" belt/disc sander combo for $229.00.

I have the 4" oscillating sander from Home Depot (Rigid) and it is very nice for narrower work.

[Image: p_1000400488.tif?%24pipGallery%24&id=EI1T31&...29&hei=400]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The combination 6"x48" belt/12" disc sander is the iconic machine for most shops because of its versatility, and has been my most used sander. Mine is an ancient Delta/Rockwell with a coarse belt for rough shaping and finer disc for more finished work. I also have a 1" belt/8" disc sander, a 24" disc sander, an edge sander, an oscillating spindle sander, and have just picked up a 22-44 drum sander.
Wood is good. 
(12-10-2017, 09:19 AM)woodhead Wrote: Combo

Al

+2

I have a Powermatic 30A that has both the 6x48 belt and 12" disc and I use both all the time.  The disc is the quick sand, esp good for rounding over edges of both wood and metal.  If I want a flatter surface, I'll use the belt.  I've had the benchtop versions, they are definitely lacking in both capacity and quality.  Find something used like an older Delta or Pmatic or maybe a griz or jet.

From my perspective, I wouldn't pick a machine just on the basis of one type of project, unless you are going into production.  I do too many odd jobs and appreciate the range of options I have with machines that do similar things but are different such as Table saw/RAS/Miter saw ,  Disc/Belt/Drum sander,  10"/20" bandsaw.  You get the drift.
(12-10-2017, 10:18 PM)CanoeBoy Wrote: +1

You never realize how much it gets used until its gone.

I still grin when using mine. [Image: Mobile_base_w-sander.jpg] No tool has changed how I do woodworking more then when I got this edge sander.   So easy to fit doors to frames, drawers to boxes, ease all edges of shelves etc.   it takes an 108" x 6" belt. I love it.   (found mine at an obscure auction for $500 *grin*) it takes an 108" x 6" belt.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(12-10-2017, 08:28 PM)Bentley Wrote: +1. I bought the Jet Oscillating Edge Sander this spring and kick myself for not buying it five years ago when I first wanted one. There is no comparison between an oscillating edge sander and a disc sander.

This...  I rarely use my 12" disk anymore.   The disk sander would likely be one of the first machines go if I needed to start downsizing for any reason....The Oscillating edge sander would be a tough one to get rid of.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
(12-26-2015, 11:29 AM)jgourlay Wrote: Thanks for that

Ridgid OSS...I have made three small hand planes out of brass on this machine...great for small boxes...You can make a 12" disc sander for peanuts and mount it on your wood lathe..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-13-2017, 09:10 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: Ridgid OSS...I have made three small hand planes out of brass on this machine...great for small boxes...You can make a 12" disc sander for peanuts and mount it on your wood lathe..

They  make a disc that fits in your table saw.  Sears used to sell this.  I'm sure it is still available.  

It is not very convenient, but if only used once in a while it seems OK.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-14-2017, 09:18 AM)Cooler Wrote: They  make a disc that fits in your table saw.  Sears used to sell this.  I'm sure it is still available.  

It is not very convenient, but if only used once in a while it seems OK.

Yep...I have had a 10" steel disc that has both faces electro- coated with carbide abrasive grains for many years..Works very well..Craftsman, IIRC.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-22-2018, 12:11 AM)nancy45 Wrote: 2 months old and it started on fire in my garage....belt guard is made of plastic and once it ignited it went crazy and even the paint started burning...That plastic belt guard ignited in an instant and the fire spread fast to the paint and melted the plastic throughout the side of the sander including knobs and table supports...
Unless it has changed drastically over the years, Wen made the cheapest electrically powered tools on the market.I don't know how they remained in business...but if you get one, I wish you good luck.

Get off my lawn !
Upset