Getting new bandsaw - Grizzly? What do you all think?
Check out the new Laguna 14". Looks well built and you don't need a riser block.
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/lagu...mba1412175
Id save for a 17" and skip all the upgrades. That polar bear G0513 is a tough saw to beat if considering a 14".

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I dont know what you make or need in a saw, but as someone here on WN once pointed out, Norm built a lot of nice furniture with a 14 CI band saw. No riser.
However, I went through this same decision as you are the hard and expensive way, and the resulting lesson to me was, bigger is better.
For me, I would buy the largest band saw I could fit / afford.
If I had a larger shop, I could see 2 or 3 of them in use.
Ag
If you thinking about adding a riser I would just get the 17" Grizzly with 2hp, much beefier all around.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
AgGEM said:

I dont know what you make or need in a saw, but as someone here on WN once pointed out, Norm built a lot of nice furniture with a 14 CI band saw. No riser.
However, I went through this same decision as you are the hard and expensive way, and the resulting lesson to me was, bigger is better.
For me, I would buy the largest band saw I could fit / afford.
If I had a larger shop, I could see 2 or 3 of them in use.
Ag

Norm had a Hitachi CB75F Resaw bandsaw with a 3" blade. He only resawed on the Delta bandsaw once according to the Norm Historians. Norm owned at least 4 bandsaws. So I do agree - be like Norm

http://www.normstools.com/images/normstools/cb75f.shtml

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Is Jerome close to you?

"JET 710750 JWBS-18X 18-Inch 1-3/4-Horsepower Resaw Woodworking Bandsaw - $995 (Jerome)"
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I have the G0555LX and like everything about it, no problems resawing, cutting tenons etc .
I've used the cast iron Delta in class and at home for many years, Resaws only 6 1/4" unmodified, so I plan anything larger than a bookmatched 12 as full thickness and let the sawmill do it. Haven't felt deprived, using domestic lumber, where large boards suitable for resaw would have cup problems anyway, due to annual ring density differential. Tropical exotics, might be worth it.

Had an older Grizzly donated with some other Grizz machines at the school. Never could get consistency from it. Had to fiddle, shim and fuss. So we rebuilt the 30+ year old Rockwell to do the job. Probably better stuff from them than what we got 15 years back.

You want to resaw large, or try to do your own logs, you might find the 14 inadequate, even with the riser. Probably why it's not standard equipment. Doesn't do the job well, just does it once in a while.

If I were buying now, I'd go no larger than a 16" steel frame type, but that's out of your budget. Depending on your NEED, might be worth saving up the difference.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
If you have a Rikon dealer near you I'd recommend there 18" I was able to get one locally to me on a price match. Highland hardware has it for $999.00 Johnsons workbench in South Bend matched there price and threw in the mobility kit since I took a floor model. So far so good and I think the cast iron trunion and the cast iron wheels alone are worth the price difference over the grizzly 17" With no shipping charges I'm money ahead. Also Rikons 5 Year warranty seems pretty strong comparatively.
Just my .02cents
If you do turning then a 6" throat is way too limiting for prepping bowls.

I got the Rikon 14" and have been very happy with it.

IIRC, it was the Delta BS's that had a bad reputation for risers that did not work.

If you are going to get the riser for a BS, buy it with the saw and install it before you buy your first blade. It is better to find out if there is a problem while it is under warranty and before you start spending money on short blades.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.