What types of chisels are you using
Smile 
Robert,
Ditto Skip J's Welcome.
Don't feel alone. Moist of us have one or more tool fetishes, often many. I went through a long chisel thing years ago and collected acquired (collected) many. I have no idea how many chisels I have. Over the years I've settled on my "users" and the others mostly mostly sit around unused. Nevertheless, I wouldn't part with a single one of them.
I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I have.
Hank
I have a collection of mutts, but they are my mutts, and I love them all. For show if I go someplace I drag out a couple of LV PM-V11's and I have 2 from Blue Spruce, that Dave did some infused on Spalted Maple, they are just little diggers a mere 1/8" sticker, and a smallish dovetail. I use them to save me from what I've done with the bigger ones
Big Grin

My suggestion is start collecting all manner of chisel from e-bay or thrift stores and see what you like for feel, balance, and the like. I had purchased 3 of the LN 750 knockoffs, darn I wanted them, they were supposed to be "special" Absolutely hated those things, they ended up going to a gifted woodworker, and I hope they were what he wanted. I have picked up some Stanley 750 originals, and I do like them, but they aren't a favorite.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Welcome Robert....

Andy

-- mos maiorum
I recently went to a local flea market, and I picked up some chisels that were reasonably priced to see how they felt.  I found a Marples blue handle chisel, and a few that had no names on them.  After sharpening them, I used the on some dovetails, and some other tasks, and I was impressed with all of them.  If I had to pick one, it would be the Marples.  It held an edge well, even after working with Oak and Maple.  The handles actually felt nice to hold.  All my chisels are wood handles, so I wasn't sure how the plastic handle would feel, but I was pleasantly surprised.  To your point, it is just a matter of trying different one's out, and finding what works best.
The only brand I have that isn't on this thread is my Pocket Sticker. .....

[Image: OarCarver_zpszzgomuyz.jpg]

Note: This is a web sourced image. For safe use, every corner must be eased and polished. Those cutting edge undulations cover most of the blade faces. The points go away upon first use, but you can still perform sliver surgery.

If the blade will reach, it will cut as well as any chisel. 

I make no claims for the workmanship of this brand's manufacturer, rather, was irritated by how poorly finished it was. After spending a day or two smoothing sharp corners and another sharpening the blades, it began to perform, impressively. The PM-D2 tool steel is a real pain to hone and sharpen. Diamond--no common alternative. However, durability is commensurate. 

It's not a samurai sword (obviously) but I have no fear of slicing, or chopping, through anything one can cut. The duller blade was roughed up when I sliced into some Boeing honey-comb graphite.
(06-16-2017, 08:08 AM)Smoothjazz077 Wrote: SNIP>To your point, it is just a matter of trying different one's out, and finding what works best.

In the vast majority of cases, new is 'buy-and-try-and-return' because the brand/tool is not down the street, nor in the same state or country. Or, you can wait a year for WIA and see most.
(05-30-2017, 12:42 PM)Carl Grover Wrote: I have a set I got from a grocery store called ALDI. 

I have those as well. Its amazing how good they are. They hold an edge, and am not afraid to beat on them as they are very stout. 

Got a set of marples from Sheffield.

Have a few odd balls...couple sorby mortise, couple japanese

I also have a set of stanley 750 sweethearts that are my "good" chisels.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I started with a set of the narex that I didn't like, I ended up getting a good deal on a set of LN chisels and I love them.

To me chisels are so dang personal. I really like how people's working sets are all different types. We are an interesting set of people.