Have you ever turned Teak? a few pieces I did.
Here are a few pieces I turned in Teak; be prepared to sharpen you tools if you work w/ teak. I came across some nice pieces of this and still have more, one is a very large flat piece I want to make a platter with.

Attached Files Image(s)

Never have had teak. Is it that hard a wood that it knocks the edges off the tools.
(08-15-2017, 01:12 PM)gear jammer Wrote: Never have had teak. Is it that hard a wood that it knocks the edges off the tools.
From what I've been told there's a good bit of silica in Teak, so it dulls your planer-joiner -saw blades and lathe tools, on the other hand it sands very nice there's a good bit of oil in the wood.
When cutting w/ the lathe tool there is a different feel from other woods.

Bruce
I have never seen Teak let alone use it.  I really love the colors in it a lot and the shapes you made are nice to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(08-15-2017, 01:20 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: From what I've been told there's a good bit of silica in Teak, so it dulls your planer-joiner -saw blades and lathe tools, on the other hand it sands very nice there's a good bit of oil in the wood.
When cutting w/ the lathe tool there is a different feel from other woods.

Bruce

That be the truth, about silica.  Like turning dirty wood, it dulls your edge even when using the cut rather than scrape orientation.   

Nice turnings, BTW.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Very nice turnings.
Thank you Arlin, Michael and Dennis.

Bruce
(08-15-2017, 02:23 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: That be the truth, about silica.  Like turning dirty wood, it dulls your edge even when using the cut rather than scrape orientation.   

Nice turnings, BTW.
Yes...but IMO, it is a pure joy to work...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset