My first vase
My first vase I did two years ago when I first started turning 10 1/2" x 5" Pommele Sapele Mahogany.

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-31-2017, 01:19 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: My first vase I did two years ago when I first started turning 10 1/2" x 5" Pommele Sapele Mahogany.

You my friend use some fantastic woods to turn with. 
Yes    Nice shape of the vase also
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(08-31-2017, 01:19 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: My first vase I did two years ago when I first started turning 10 1/2" x 5" Pommele Sapele Mahogany.

finding a chunk that thick of sapele must have taken some looking.

technically it isn't sapele mahogany since those are two distinct species.

I have a few 5/4 boards of the stuff but have heretofore only used it in box making. great looking stuff.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Thank you Arlin and Steve this vase was made from 4 pieces glued together 2 of the seams are hidden in the Vee groves the other is there you have to look very close to see it though. Steve you are correct sir; Wiki says : The commercially important wood is reminiscent of mahogany, a member of the same family, with a distinctive figure, typically applied where figure is important. It has a density of 640 kg/m3. Demand for sapele, often marketed as "African mahogany," has increased sharply as a mahogany substitute in recent years due to genuine mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) becoming a CITES Appendix II listed species.

Bruce
That looks great ! Did you hollow it out, all the way to the base?

I have a hard time hollowing out a 5 inch deep bowl. I have plenty to learn.
(09-13-2017, 02:14 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: That looks great !  Did you hollow it out, all the way to the base?

I have a hard time hollowing out a 5 inch deep bowl. I have plenty to learn.

Midwest Man yes it's hollow all the way to the bottom, all though this being my first vase it's not as thin as I would have liked it to be about 5/16" to 3/8". When making these sort of turnings you can do them in sections, rings glued together hollowing as you go. Or you can use a hollowing tool and do the whole thing at once but this takes practice. Don't be afraid to try different ways of making things, I always use the KISS method (Keep It simple Stupid) when I do this I have greater results. I hope to see some of your projects posted here in the future.Here's a few shots of me making another vase to give you an idea how to go about this process.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)