OK it is time to post your wish list for the Secret Santa
(11-06-2017, 03:10 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Ummmm.... Arlin and his vets group are a special case..... what they do is a very desirable activity to contribute to..... never did believe in taking donations off my taxes anyway....

Thanks Skip, but not everyone feels that way and I hope not everyone does it since I like to see what people get.
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-06-2017, 04:12 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thanks Skip, but not everyone feels that way and I hope not everyone does it since I like to see what people get.
Yes
Yes

Perhaps you could post some tool suggestions, in case your match wants to follow the rules (assuming you are participating).
To all participants -- I know it's the weirdest thing to post a wish list, probably the opposite of how you feel about giving vs receiving. But it is hugely helpful to your Santa. Please post. If you're not comfortable asking for gifts, at least say something about the kind of woodworking you do and your level of experience. Especially if you don't post much! I sure hope my giftee says something here.

Some things I could use:
I would love it if you donated something to Arlin's organization.
Anything homemade.
I make a fair number of hand planes, and I could use a longish piece of high-Janka something (bubinga, osage orange, birch, beech) for a jointer plane (>=24"). Yeah, longish.
** Sorry to have to say this, but I have have a lot of allergies and some are to wood species. If you do plan to send wood in any form, on behalf of my hyperactive immune system, please check with Santa first. He can relay any questions to me. Sadly, a moment of contat with the wrong board could put me in the hospital.
Sad **
A 1/8" edge push float.
A hook rule.
I could always use another set of nice pointy calipers (for marking out dovetails)
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I had better put some ideas in here for the sake of whoever got stuck with my name.  I am more of a Basement dweller than anything else.  
Uhoh 

My woodworking time is mostly taken up by The Varmints.  It is a season of life, and it is the right thing for the season.

I have a saw rehab project with Varmint #2 right now.  He has a rusty $3 Warranted Superior 9 TPI crosscut saw that is at least dead straight.  I am going to put him to work cleaning it up and making it into a decent saw.  I have cleaned up saw plates and refinished handles before.  That part is no challenge.  The sharpening will be the new thing for me.  I have a couple of saw vises that I believe are in working condition (swap meet finds--haven't tried them out yet).  I have several saw sets, including a good Stanley 42X. I have a Veritas set of files and saw file holder.  And I have the Lie-Nielsen Complete Guide to Sharpening.  I think I have everything I need, except experience.  Of course the lack of experience may mean that I am entirely missing something.  If my SS sees something I am missing or has an idea for something to supplement that, or even just wants to add some files that would be great.

I also have a couple of large saws that I need to figure out how to sharpen.  One is a two man crosscut saw and the other is a docking saw.  I actually have practical use for these saws.  One of the things I do with The Varmints is work with the Adopt-A-Trail program in the San Bernardino National Forest.  Every winter there are trees that get blown down across the trails and then in the spring some of us Jeep folks go up and clear the trails.  Getting a chainsaw permit is a royal pain, so we do things the hard way.  The biggest challenge I see with these saws is setting the teeth.  I have a Stanley #43 saw set, but I don't think even it is really up to the job on these saws.  I have a forestry service manual that shows a few ways to hammer set the teeth.  I have yet to find any of the tools that relate to this.

On a related note, another item that I could use is a leather sheath/cover for a double bit axe.

Of course wood is always good.  Out here in SoCal it seems it doesn't just grow on trees.  Things like Black Locust and Osage Orange simply can't be found out here.

Handmade tools are always a pleasure to receive.

And Rob Lee graciously hosts a wish list for me under my user ID.

I hope that spares someone the desperation of searching for clues for me.
This is an awesome thing every year, can't wait for this one...

Last year my Santa made me an awesome marking knife that I use all the time, along with some other goodies.  So shop made tools are always awesome.

I am currently dipping my toe in to relief carving.  I purchased a basic 5 piece set of Pfiel chisels.  Additional chisels would be very cool, or old ones to clean up, I spend a lot of time restoring hand planes, so I'm familiar and comfortable with old tools.  A carving mallet would be very cool, either a shop made one or a fancy one like I have on my Lee Valley wish list with this user name. There are some other ideas on the wish list as well because I am sending that to my family..
Smile

There are some really cool rifflers and files for sale in the Trade/Swap section from Jquacker that I would love to have...  

My man Yotie always posts some awesome tool rolls that always get me on the edge of my seat.  

I would really like to find a good quality wooden jointer or jack plane.  I've been looking for an old english one, but can't find one that's in good restorable shape.

I think it would be very cool to own a homemade drawer bottom plane... 

Hopefully that's broad and vague enough to help SS, but there is no pressure, I can't be disappointed to open something that a "stranger" has gifted to me... always a pleasure.
(11-03-2017, 09:57 AM)Randy B. Wrote: The new job I started last year led to a nice promotion, that has kept me real busy and not able to post much around here, but I do look forward to the Secret Santa every year!  One of the best things going!!!

That said, I will be happy with anything!  Really!

A donation to the annual WoodNet fund raiser is always in style!  

Things I could use around the shop: an awl (I keep giving the ones I make away) and a jointer's mallet leap to mind...

Wood is an excellent choice!

Then there is always the wish list over at LV 
Cool

Here's hoping everyone has a most excellent Christmas!

Randy

Randy

Congratulations on the job promotion. 
Yes
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(11-06-2017, 01:35 PM)geek2me Wrote: Doesn't that conflict with the "send a real gift, not money or a gift card" rule?

Good question and thank you for asking.

I have received nice things in the past which are not just for me but for all the vets I teach to use.  I just changed it this year and we have most of the hand tools we need but for a few and this year we thought that the funds would be of better use.

I have not gotten things here just for me but we as a whole when we get together have a wish list that over a year I save the small funds I get from sales of my turned items or my small allowance that the VA allows my wife to give me every month.  So this year we decided to do it this way.

(11-06-2017, 11:02 PM)Anak Wrote: I had better put some ideas in here for the sake of whoever got stuck with my name.  I am more of a Basement dweller than anything else.  
Uhoh 

My woodworking time is mostly taken up by The Varmints.  It is a season of life, and it is the right thing for the season.

I have a saw rehab project with Varmint #2 right now.  He has a rusty $3 Warranted Superior 9 TPI crosscut saw that is at least dead straight.  I am going to put him to work cleaning it up and making it into a decent saw.  I have cleaned up saw plates and refinished handles before.  That part is no challenge.  The sharpening will be the new thing for me.  I have a couple of saw vises that I believe are in working condition (swap meet finds--haven't tried them out yet).  I have several saw sets, including a good Stanley 42X. I have a Veritas set of files and saw file holder.  And I have the Lie-Nielsen Complete Guide to Sharpening.  I think I have everything I need, except experience.  Of course the lack of experience may mean that I am entirely missing something.  If my SS sees something I am missing or has an idea for something to supplement that, or even just wants to add some files that would be great.

I also have a couple of large saws that I need to figure out how to sharpen.  One is a two man crosscut saw and the other is a docking saw.  I actually have practical use for these saws.  One of the things I do with The Varmints is work with the Adopt-A-Trail program in the San Bernardino National Forest.  Every winter there are trees that get blown down across the trails and then in the spring some of us Jeep folks go up and clear the trails.  Getting a chainsaw permit is a royal pain, so we do things the hard way.  The biggest challenge I see with these saws is setting the teeth.  I have a Stanley #43 saw set, but I don't think even it is really up to the job on these saws.  I have a forestry service manual that shows a few ways to hammer set the teeth.  I have yet to find any of the tools that relate to this.

On a related note, another item that I could use is a leather sheath/cover for a double bit axe.

Of course wood is always good.  Out here in SoCal it seems it doesn't just grow on trees.  Things like Black Locust and Osage Orange simply can't be found out here.

Handmade tools are always a pleasure to receive.

And Rob Lee graciously hosts a wish list for me under my user ID.

I hope that spares someone the desperation of searching for clues for me.

Anak

If you would like I can give you several YouTube links to individuals who sharpen and they are really good to.

Send me a PM if you would like for me to find them for you.

It's getting harder to make suggestions as my "collection" grows :-)

I'm mostly a hand tool worker and turner, primarily building federal period reproductions. I have most of the common planes, marking gauges, winding sticks, etc.

I could use a good dovetail or gent's backsaw. I do have saws, but they are lower end. Specialty planes would be another good choice (but not molding planes, I have a broad set already). Miniature and smaller tools are an interest as well.

I'll try to think of some other needs and update this post. Thanks.
I really hate posting a list, but it was requested. Anything home made is always appreciated. Some tools I've had my eyes on...

Thor - 712R Soft And Hard Faced Hammer Wood Handle 650G

Marking Gauge

Router plane

Marking knife

Magnetic dovetail guide - katz-moses

plane hammer