How do you protect chisel edges?
(11-05-2017, 10:42 AM)mad_planter Wrote: Quick and dirty way is to get a old piece of garden hose, cut it up into short pieces, cut a short slit in one side the width of the chisel, and push the chisel into the slit until it stops against the other side of the hose.

Not the prettiest but it will protect the chisel and not cost anything.

Wow, excellent idea, especially for travel tool box.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've got a bunch of newspaper roll anti slip sheets used for hauling newspaper rolls that I've saved.
I made condoms to slip over the chisels that I keep in a work site tool box.
All other chisels either hang on the wall in their container, or in a drawer.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I use those plastic edge guards.  Mine are older, a hard plastic composition that flexes as it slides on to the chisel.  Holds well, easily removed and replaced.

Plasti-Dip clings pretty close, and it's a soft, flexible composition.  It would probably work well for a chisel you were shipping to someone, but I'd hate to have to work your custom guard back on to the chisel after use.
Keep'em away from kids.

Found this one the other day while cleaning up in the back of the property, stuck in a rotted log.

[Image: Tz7CuO6.jpg]

Don't look too well- but good for the rough jobs hard on a chisel.
 Glad it was a cheap one.

[Image: TT57XZw.jpg]
My most commonly used bench chisels reside in a rack similar to Hank's that sits on my workbench.  The more uncommonly used chisels are in tool rolls, stored in drawers in one of my tool cabinets.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-05-2017, 10:42 AM)mad_planter Wrote: Quick and dirty way is to get a old piece of garden hose, cut it up into short pieces, cut a short slit in one side the width of the chisel, and push the chisel into the slit until it stops against the other side of the hose.

Not the prettiest but it will protect the chisel and not cost anything.

Cool, I like it.

This made me think.  I have a small collection of magnetic business cards, which fudge mistakenly think I will put on my refrigerator. I cut a couple of pieces slightly wider than the chisel, ~1.25" long and put them on the chisel.  Now that they are correctly spaced for the thickness of the chisel, I wrapped them in duct tape.  They slip over the end and stick.  Mine are not pretty either, but the duct tape just screams GIT-R-DONE.

Cardboard boxes have a crease where they fold.  I think I will try to crease one (I will used a beater chisel to make the crease) in two places and fold the card.  The distance between the crease will be the thickness of the chisel.  I will still use duct tape to make the pocket.  In this case, the sharp edge of the chisel will meet the magnetic stock, and not the duct tape.  Back to the shop to try again.  Thanks for the idea.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(11-05-2017, 08:19 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Thanks, Jack. I fixed it.
Wink
Laugh
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

JSpill,
Currently you have your chisels "hanging" on the wall; I like hanging.  My chisels are on magnetic bars mounted on the tool cabinet doors.  To me they seem very secure and I do not feel the need for protectors.  The great advantage, to me, of the magnetic bars is space flexibility.  So far, knock on wood, I have not knocked off or dropped a chisel.  But I have had one roll off the bench, that was bad.

If I had to have protectors, I'd probably go with the cardboard/duct tape.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I have my chisels hanging in slots on the door of my tool cabinet, like some of the other posters.  It’s far too much hassle to put an edge protector on each chisel every time I put them away.  The biggest threat to the edges is when they fall on the floor.  I use a heavy duty rubber mat on the floor, and it saves more things than chisel edges, like my feet, planes, etc.
You just found a use for wine bottle corks - and the excuse to buy some more wine.

Big Grin
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard