Handles for a Moxon vise
Walk into the local Wall E World, go to the sporting goods section,  pick up a pair of the locking rings used to hold weights on the bar.   Thread are ACME thread.    You can even used the smallest of the weights as handles....and attach the locking nuts to the weights with screws.   Just an idea someone else had come up with, in another site ( LJs....)
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Dave Diaman: thanks for the offer to utillze your taps. the Moxon is not a priority right now -- really need a bigger tool cabinet and looking at cabinet plans to fit my needs/tools.
Again thanks.
I found a 3/4" drill bit and carefully drilled out the handle using WD 40. Worked well. I just need to sand down the dowel for a good fit. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Good job. I would suggest having a machinist square handy to make sure the rod stays straight. Functionally, it won't matter if it's off a whisker, but it's not as fun to use. DAMHIKT Don't forget to show us some pics when you're done.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(11-09-2017, 05:23 PM)pgriff Wrote: Thanks for your offer. This is a project for an evening woodworking class I am taking, and have to finish in 2 weeks. I also have already purchased the acme rod and nuts. I will look at my tooling and see what I have that can open up the threads by 0.020-0.030".

No problem buddy.  I hope that is what we are all here for is to help others.
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I used hand wheels.  Purchased from Enco fairly cheap.  No, they're not Benchcrafted, but they work fine.

You can either have a shop tap acme threads and pin in place.  I couldn't find a shop that could do that so I put a nut on both sides.
(11-10-2017, 08:58 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Ray,  the setup I have is really reasonable to build. I think after shipping I have about $35. The two speed knobs are just 3/8” carnage bolts that I turned handles to fit on. The only expensive part is the tap. If you need one I would be happy to ship the one I have to you to use. I have both a 3/4 and a 1”. They are not Acme thread however.

Dave

I really like how you made your vises and with it being so cheap I can make two of them for us.  Thanks you for the pictures.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

If you need to me to loan you some drill bits and taps let me know. The biggest I have is 1”- 8
(11-09-2017, 01:31 PM)pgriff Wrote: I am in the process of building a Moxon vise in a small workbench. I am thinking of modifying a pair of black iron pipe tees as part of the handles. What is the best way of opening up the threads to accommodate both my acme rod as well as a dowel for a handle. Thanks.

Exactly what I did and it works fine:
[Image: MoxonVice_zps98f769b9.jpg?1511290518720&...1290530823]

[Image: MoxonVice_2_zpsbadbbdfc.jpg]
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

bumped for good info