Coming to a state near you. Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors.
As of Jan-1, retailers in Maryland will no longer be able to restock detectors with standard 9 volt batteries. They will have to be 10-year batteries. The First Alert has a lithium battery and a digital count down clock. From what I understand, they will be sealed and the units will be disposable. The First Alert is $49.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(12-28-2017, 09:53 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: As of Jan-1, retailers in Maryland will no longer be able to restock detectors with standard 9 volt batteries. They will have to be 10-year batteries. The First Alert has a lithium battery and a digital count down clock. From what I understand, they will be sealed and the units will be disposable. The First Alert is $49.

Apparently we have one more year in NY
http://valuhomecenters.com/new-nys-law-w...detectors/
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I think I paid $20 for 10 year battery detectors.  I didn't have to...but they are on vaulted ceilings, so I don't want to  have to bring in the big ladder just to change batteries.

Funny how free market and choice keeps prices lower.
(12-28-2017, 09:53 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: As of Jan-1, retailers in Maryland will no longer be able to restock detectors with standard 9 volt batteries. They will have to be 10-year batteries. The First Alert has a lithium battery and a digital count down clock. From what I understand, they will be sealed and the units will be disposable. The First Alert is $49.

Yep we had that a year or 2 back.  HD got slammed for selling the older units.  I don't recall the fine.  I was in an HD and called a manager over to the shelf and explained they needed to get gone and they did but not at all of them.  If you shop around you can find better prices especially if you buy in bulk.  I think I got mine for $12 from Lowes
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

It will be handled like the LOW VOC changeover. If it's in stock or warehoused in MD, it can be sold but it can't me imported into MD.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

when I got my lithium detectors, they weren't stocked in stores.  Best idea ever.  Those detector modules don't last forever, so throwing them away isn't that big of a deal.  Probably should go to electronics recycling so they have some hope of not poisoning us.
(12-29-2017, 10:13 AM)EricU Wrote: when I got my lithium detectors, they weren't stocked in stores.  Best idea ever.  Those detector modules don't last forever, so throwing them away isn't that big of a deal.  Probably should go to electronics recycling so they have some hope of not poisoning us.

I don't see a problem either. It's probably a good idea. You'd be surprised how man homes I inspect with inoperative smoke detectors. I check every one in the house and most houses have non working detectors. I'd say about 15% don't even have batteries in them. The hard wired ones generally work but most older houses don't have hard wired detectors.

... Kizar Sosay

pretty sure any smoke detector module is designed to fail at 2:45 am.......
Upset  My mother had one go bad this week.

Ed
(12-29-2017, 10:37 AM)EdL Wrote: pretty sure any smoke detector module is designed to fail at 2:45 am.......
Upset  My mother had one go bad this week.

Ed

I think most folks pull the battery and never think about it again.

... Kizar Sosay

(12-29-2017, 10:42 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I think most folks pull the battery and never think about it again.

thanks for reminding me that mine are currently without batteries. I'll just replace the whole unit with the 10 years units.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15