Bathroom grab bars?
I am going to put some grab bars in for a couple. Obviously o want to mount them to studs if possible

If not, what are my best options? I know the manufacturers offer hollow wall kits. Is there a cost effective dyi option?

I don't want to do something that will fail. Of course a failed safety device is not worth any money saved

(12-29-2017, 08:30 PM)goaliedad Wrote: I am going to put some grab bars in for a couple. Obviously o want to mount them to studs if possible

If not, what are my best options? I know the manufacturers offer hollow wall kits. Is there a cost effective dyi option?

I don't want to do something that will fail. Of course a failed safety device is not worth any money saved

Why not studs?  If the length doesn't work right, angle them up I like them better that way.
If the stud spacing doesn't line up, use a 1x4 backer board. Screw it to the studs, mount the grab bar.

Put "t nuts" in for the grab bar if your not comfortable with wood screws .

Ed
(12-29-2017, 08:30 PM)goaliedad Wrote: I am going to put some grab bars in for a couple. Obviously o want to mount them to studs if possible

I'm assuming the walls are finished. If sheet rock I would install wood blocking for each bar end. If possible the blocking can be installed from the other room side. If the walls are tile then I definitely would install blocking from the other room .Remove a piece of rock 4" wide and 8" high for each end. Install a long screw about an inch deep in the center of the blocking for a handle. Blocking should be at least 12' long. Install a blob of panel adhesive to the blocking ends where it will contact the opening you cut out. Tip the blocking into the cut out and hold tight with the long screw you added for a handle. Now screw 2 or more drywall screws top and bottom to hold the blocking .Remove the screw used for the handle. Repeat for other side of the grab bar. 
Now you can install the grab bar and patch the drywall.
mike
Good 3/4 ply is your friend...easier to slip into the wall. Don't angle the bars. Decking screws work well for attaching the bars to the wall.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!

Toggle bolts..3/16ths or 1/4 inch 3 inches long. Just snug them up or hand tighten don't crank down on them or the escutcheon plate won't lock down
Try these

https://wingits.com/products/type/fasteners
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(12-30-2017, 08:31 AM)woodcutter100 Wrote: Toggle bolts..3/16ths or 1/4 inch 3 inches long. Just snug them up or hand tighten don't crank down on them or the escutcheon plate won't lock down

Toggle bolts are a No No!
Uhoh

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I am in luck- I went and looked at what they need- just one bar and it will mount into the side of a 2 by in the wall.
There is no way I could have gotten access from the other side of the walls to install blocks.

I do have to do a small drywall repair where the guy tried to use a towel bar as a grab bar- that did not end well.

The sad thing is the guy is in the hospital with a broken vertebrae- Not really sure if it happened when he took out the towel bar, or a different fall. It sounds like he will be coming home with a back brace for now.
Getting old sucks.

Studs are best.  No drywall screws either, they snap under load!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!