Garage floor driveway elevation issue
We still don't know what's causing the flooding problem. OP said the city "changed the drainage of the whole area." If it's an area-wide problem it may not be so easy to fix. If the problem is caused by the design of the street in front of his house, he should buy an hour of time from a civil engineer. There may be an easy solution.
Any changes the city makes if the city causes his house to flood, the city needs to fix. Now he may need to pay for a civil engineer to prove it.
My driveway slopes from the street to the house and probably drops 2 to 3 feet over that distance (about 70 feet).  The water drains towards the house.  

The driveway slopes down to the garage and the black top ends about 16" from the garage and about 6" lower than the garage floor.  There is a concrete rise to drive up to get in the garage.  

There is drainage to one side of the house.  So the water drains towards the house and drains to the side and my garage stays dry.

When there is snow on the driveway getting up to the street can be a challenge, as I am driving uphill and there is cross traffic so I can't speed up the driveway onto the street.  The steepest section is near the street.  

When the town re-paved the road they built up a 3 to 4 inch shoulder to prevent the water from draining down but my car could not clear the shoulder and I had to remove it.  (A lot of work that included a circular saw, a chisel and a shorty sledge hammer.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.