Cleaning up a Stanley 45.
Not so much the cutter(s)..it is the skates themselves.....they are too thick.    Maybe file a sharper edge to them?   When you filed the skates down, you also needed to re-"sharpen" them.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-10-2018, 09:13 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Not so much the cutter(s)..it is the skates themselves.....they are too thick.    Maybe file a sharper edge to them?   When you filed the skates down, you also needed to re-"sharpen" them.

I may end up doing that, Bandit. Imma sleep on it.
Sleep
Bandit is on the money. I had the same problem with mine.  When you flatten them, you made the profile of the skate wider than it needs to be.   I can't recall if I used a file or sandpaper, but I did narrow both skates so they were pretty thin at the end.  Don't touch the flat side of the skate on the main body, the cutters register against that, you only want to file the beveled side of that skate.
Ugh.
No

Guess I'll do both skates. Film at 11:00.
Well, I've now gotten these skates thinned down and they shouldn't pose any of the previous issues again.
Smile

It was pretty easy in the end thinning them down, tho I tried my best to make it interesting by trying to use my Veritas rig to do the work. Fail.
Crazy

[Image: sharpening_stanley_45_skates_001.jpg]

[Image: sharpening_stanley_45_skates_002.jpg]

No it proved out that the tool rest has too much flex side to side on something this wide.

[Image: sharpening_stanley_45_skates_005.jpg]

But my mill file came to the rescue and they look good now.
Smile

[Image: sharpening_stanley_45_skates_010.jpg]

[Image: sharpening_stanley_45_skates_011.jpg]
Rick,  now that you have the tuning done,  put it to work.
(01-11-2018, 08:42 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Rick,  now that you have the tuning done,  put it to work.

No doubt. I've honed a couple more cutters for a try out in the morning.
Smile
Lov this thread. 
Cool
Okay, I got the 3/16 bead cutter working finally, a bit ragged on the right side tho.

[Image: stan_45_rabbet_plane_and_radius_cutter_o...4_jack.jpg]

I also ran a short section with the 5/16 bead cutter. Its cleaner.

Since its Saturday my sons were in and out of the shop this afternoon seeing what I was up to. I gave them both a quick run down on the 45 and let them practice some rabbets with my Stanley 289. Easy plane to use and its fun watching the shavings come corkscrewing out of it.
Smile

Nice work with the beads,  both look pretty good to me.   Glad you got it working.