Sort of a Rust Hunting Post
(01-12-2018, 09:24 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: The "hooked" knife is for cutting/scoring drywall.

We call it a shingle knife.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

As kids we had the bone handled 'hunting' knife; mid to late 50s.  A Case? The tang went clear through and eventually broke free so all the junk in the handle spun freely. Looks like a previous owner maybe fixed his too. That bone made the worst grip. I took it to a grinder. After I thought the thing was long gone, a brother shipped it to me a few years ago. I use it to split kindling.

I was going to call the hooked knife one we used for shingling. But the roofing knife was some smaller and had a 'dull hammerhead' to avoid cutting roofing underneath. That guy above scored the material, bend, and snap free.
(01-12-2018, 09:15 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I kinda get the impression that you were a sailor or ground soldier or, even worse, a Marine; but I suspect most flyboys and flygals would consider themselves to have been "in the military."
Nice acquisitions.

Yeah, I was army, and we never miss a chance to take a shot at the air force. But I was talking to his daughter tonight after we cleaned everything out. He flew P-51s in close support in the Korean War, which makes him a. a genuine bad butt, and b. a genuine bad butt who might have flown CAS for my dad, also a genuine bad butt ground pounder in Korea. So it was all in good fun; the guy I got these tools from is the real deal, and I have nothing but respect for him.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
Thanks, everybody who identified some of these tools.

Still gonna call those little things tweezers, though. Or maybe roach clips, now that we have legal marijuana here in sin city.
Smile

I'll probably post some follow up pictures of individual tools that I don't know the correct use for. I'm certain some of you will be able to set me straight.

It has been kind of overwhelming looking at this stash of tools. I probably just bought myself 100 hours or so of reorganizing my shop, which I only just got organized the way I liked it back in the spring. Sigh, first world problems are still problems.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
(01-12-2018, 09:28 PM)gjohn Wrote: The hooked one is a linoleum knife.

BINGO !!!!!!!! That is exactly what it is for...we used linoleum floor covering in the "olden days".......mostly used in kitchen and bath areas.
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-12-2018, 11:48 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: We call it a shingle knife.
Laugh

https://www.rmurphyknives.com/store/ligh...tails.html
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-15-2018, 01:07 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: https://www.rmurphyknives.com/store/ligh...tails.html

In my younger days I used them for roofing, cutting tar paper and asphalt shingles, before I stopped going up on roofs!  Musta had 3 or 4 of them, likely still do somewhere....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-15-2018, 01:42 PM)Admiral Wrote: In my younger days I used them for roofing, cutting tar paper and asphalt shingles, before I stopped going up on roofs!  Musta had 3 or 4 of them, likely still do somewhere....

Yea I don't do roofs anymore either.
Laugh  I found one of mine yesterday.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Matt,  I think your idea to build a thank you gift is excellent.  Since you mentioned  that this gentleman is completing his earthly tour of duty and have praised his military service, perhaps you could build a flag case.  Maybe that's too morbid.  I tried to think of something he would appreciate as a woodworker with no interest in accumulating possessions, rather a plan to find places for things he leaves behind.  By the way - great hack saw.