Fooled at the Fleamarket
I've a thing for Swedish chisels, I love their balance. So when I looked in a box there was a rusty socket chisel with a ring around the lip. For a buck, it went into my pocket. The ring around the lip is something the Swedes did for their socket chisels, a good idea. I have a Canadian Champion socket chisel  that I'm going to have to heat and use a die on. First thing I did when I got home was hit it with the fine wire wheel to read the makers stamp. Surprise. It was a Shamrock ! Wm.Marple on the writing. Sheffield not Eskilstuna. A good chisel but rusty. It looks like the lip is factory, not a repaired socket, bit thinner and not as well formed as the Swedes did. I'm going to have to try dating it.

A easily useable Canadian made Stanley #151 spofeshave for $4 and a German Stahlwille box end wrench  also for a buck. I consider Stahwilli a couple of steps up from Snap-on.
A man of foolish pursuits
(02-12-2018, 01:15 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: I've a thing for Swedish chisels, I love their balance. So when I looked in a box there was a rusty socket chisel with a ring around the lip. For a buck, it went into my pocket. The ring around the lip is something the Swedes did for their socket chisels, a good idea. I have a Canadian Champion socket chisel  that I'm going to have to heat and use a die on. First thing I did when I got home was hit it with the fine wire wheel to read the makers stamp. Surprise. It was a Shamrock ! Wm.Marple on the writing. Sheffield not Eskilstuna. A good chisel but rusty. It looks like the lip is factory, not a repaired socket, bit thinner and not as well formed as the Swedes did. I'm going to have to try dating it.

Start with flowers...
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(02-12-2018, 01:15 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote:  I'm going to have to try dating it.

What always worked for me was dinner and a movie, then see how it goes.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
With February 14 coming up, these are great suggestions. I usually give flowers, but on  February 15, when they are on for half price.
Seems you did all right at the flea, even if you did not get what you
thought you purchased.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Yeah, no complaints there. The spokeshave is a steal.

Here in Canada we have English and Swedish chisels as well as American. It was the oddity of the chisel. A wild a** guess would be 1890s?. I'll have to research that.  I have drawer of Wm.Marple&Sons chisels. They are finely made bevel edge chisels, with small lands. And of good cast steel. This one ,while it had fine lands, it was heavier with a more rounded top. Looked more hand made,too.

I find I'm spending much more time  looking at old mechanics tools .I very rarely buy. One dollar Stahlwilles are an exception. Like a PLOMB flex-head, they invented  the combination wrench. You know this company as Proto.
The berg style was very popular back in the 40’s-60’s, with the thin blade. Everybody copied the style, buck also made one also. Stanley made one but with the usual thick blade.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
Thinking about what you say Slav, I think the purpose of the chisel governed it's shape. On this side of the pond most chisel sales would be to carpenters where a framing chisel strength would be important whereas in England cabinet shops where they hand made furniture still existed. Even WM.Marple&Sons "Splitproof" plastic handled ones are finely made.