Full Blind DTs
(03-12-2018, 09:18 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: But have to ask, why not just use a spline and save a whoooole bunch of time?

What's the fun in that? If I was making several of these, splined miters would be used. I still like to enjoy my hobby from time to time.
Just for the sake of comparison, take a look at this video.  Wilbur posted it on WC some years ago.  Full blind dovetails by a Japanese master. Start at about the 4:30 mark for the dovetails.
(03-10-2018, 07:25 PM)Scoony Wrote: Back from Texas (Grapevine) and had the day to goof off in the shop. Sold my Table saw today. Got it sold pretty fast on Facebook. 

Pulled out and dusted off the mighty miter jack. I made this many years ago and onle use it once in a while, but it is great for tuning miter joints.

As an alternate, I took a piece of 2x6 construction pine, surfaced it and cut the end at a 45 deg angle. 

There was a question a while back on the utility of a work surface behind a moxon type vice. I made this bench top bench a long time ago and use it from time to time.  Raises up the work piece for more comfortable working height.

They fit, now I just need to tune up the miters now.  

On the first picture of the clamp I just want to jump in the car and seal you work bench or the vise.  Boy that looks nice and seems it can handle anything.

Did you make it from plans or just thought it up?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Why do I spend so much time on the other forums around here? THIS is where woodworking is happening!

Nicely done. I find the miter part of this the most intimidating. I just know I'd fiddle with them forever. Course, I haven't made one of those guide jigs either, maybe that is my problem....
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(03-12-2018, 09:35 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: On the first picture of the clamp I just want to jump in the car and seal you work bench or the vise.  Boy that looks nice and seems it can handle anything.

Did you make it from plans or just thought it up?

Arlin,

This was bench number 4 for me. I got frustrated with the first three. I had several books on bench building and kind of took the features that I needed and built this. The top is Hard Maple, 3" thick and I needed length over width, so it is about 7' long and only 21" wide. I would have been happy with 18"-21" width. The long length provides a lot of work area where I can split up tasks.  The base is simply long leaf construction pine. My brother scrounged up an old Yost pattern makers vice, but it was missing some parts. A fellow WN member happed to have the same vice, but missing the one critical part that I had. He had changed directions on his bench build and gave me his vice, which I fixed and mounted to this bench. The top by itself is a two man lift.

Oh and to dispel a myth in the Square verses round bench dog debate. Those round brass bench dogs do not spin in the holes. If I want to reposition the flat face, I have to pull out the pin, reorient and put back in. So glad I went with them.  

I am currently in the process of accessory attachment. I made a new bench block and used a French cleat system so the bench block hangs on the side of the bench when not needed. The bottom cleat on the block is undercut to fit the French cleat on the bench. I am trying the same for my shooting board. I am finding out that I need to under cut the cleat on the bottom of the jig to get it to stay in place.
(03-12-2018, 10:26 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: Why do I spend so much time on the other forums around here? THIS is where woodworking is happening!

Nicely done. I find the miter part of this the most intimidating. I just know I'd fiddle with them forever. Course, I haven't made one of those guide jigs either, maybe that is my problem....

Thanks for the complement. I need to rebuild my miter jig as there is some flex in it. The carriage really needs to be at least a full 1",as 3/4" allows some flex. I may be able to reuse the blocks. I will post that project when I get to doing it.