Emails I keep getting
Digressing...we get robocalls that are ghosting local numbers, so it looks like it might be a friend of ours - but, of course, it turns out to be Christie from Credit Card Services or some such B.S.  The one that frosted me was the call "from" one of the restaurants in town.  I happened to recognize that one, since I've memorized it for the nights we don't feel like cooking dinner (taco salad with chicken, please, and a pork burrito).
So, I guess, the point probably is, unless someone knows better, maybe......  Get a special *someonespecial*@.gmail  address for all your friends you might not trust, and especially those you know better than to trust, along with all the strangers who demand an email--when "I don't have email" doesn't work. 

If you are familiar with Gmail, you can banish the hated friends to red regions. So far, Gmail is the most user friendly and longest living service. Recommended. My Yahoos died sometime in the last two years. Is Hotmail still out there? Never plan on email from internet service providers. I have a bunch, .... .... out there, somewhere. You can replace the old email address you want to save with the new junk address  (*someonespecial*@.gmail)  in most of your current memberships contact list. 

But, mostly, don't sign up for anything on line unless you know how to send them to the spam folder. My wife has her very own computer that our son, or I, need to clean up every few months. She. Does. Not. Understand.  So we made life easier for us, Son and me, and built a new computer for her.
(03-08-2018, 02:40 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Digressing...we get robocalls that are ghosting local numbers, so it looks like it might be a friend of ours - but, of course, it turns out to be Christie from Credit Card Services or some such B.S.  The one that frosted me was the call "from" one of the restaurants in town.  I happened to recognize that one, since I've memorized it for the nights we don't feel like cooking dinner (taco salad with chicken, please, and a pork burrito).

I use my cell phone like a phone book and enter every number I call into my contacts.  If I get an incoming call from a number not identified as a contact I don’t answer it.
(03-09-2018, 12:28 AM)hbmcc Wrote: But, mostly, don't sign up for anything on line unless you know how to send them to the spam folder. My wife has her very own computer that our son, or I, need to clean up every few months. She. Does. Not. Understand.  So we made life easier for us, Son and me, and built a new computer for her.

Hi Bruce; my wife has a separate computer, a separate internet account, a separate incoming router, a separate email address from a separate provider.... because she does all the shopping for all of us, I hate shopping, unless it's for a tool I want.  A phishing guy found her a few days ago and is sending all kinds of bad stuff.  Gonna have to do something about that.... probably will not have to start all over again new this time I hope... 

I get a little bit of spam, but not much.  I got the same woodnet guy awhile back, but not lately...
Skip

Go here;  https://support.google.com/groups/answer/46608?hl=en

Unsubscribe to google groups associated with the problem.
(03-09-2018, 12:28 AM)hbmcc Wrote: .. Is Hotmail still out there? ...
Yes, I still have my Hotmail address from the late nineties (Microsoft has continuously supported the Hotmail.com email domain since their takeover).
(03-10-2018, 05:13 AM)knockknock Wrote: Yes, I still have my Hotmail address from the late nineties (Microsoft has continuously supported the Hotmail.com email domain since their takeover).

Didn't MS move Hotmail to Outlook a few years back? Google opened in the later 90's, when Hotmail was hot and heavy.

Anyway, a digression. Another warning: write your email and pass in a record book, .... preferably bound in gold, so that won't be lost too. Password managers always fudge up, and want money; called legal extortion.
Mr Bryan...or Ted, whoever, has managed to get back on my google groups.
I've got another one of his woodworking plans awaiting me in my spam folder.

I haven't heard from him in a while, and was getting worried. 
Smirk
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-10-2018, 11:48 AM)hbmcc Wrote: [snip]
Another warning: write your email and pass in a record book, .... preferably bound in gold, so that won't be lost too. Password managers always fudge up, and want money; called legal extortion.

Sounds like you've had some poor experiences with password managers. Sorry to hear that. My experience has been very different.

I have LastPass, https://www.lastpass.com/, a free, password manager that I've used for the last seven or eight years now. It encrypts all my passwords ON MY MACHINE and only the encypted file is backed up on-line so the LastPass people can't see my passwords ever. And I can download the program on as many machines as I want and they all use the same back-up file to create their on board file, still encrypted. I can also have a version of it installed on a flash card or memory stick and run it on a "foreign" machine, e.g., one in a public library or at a friend's home.

LastPass also includes a password generator and a log in "autofill" of both user name and password for any site you use it for. Very handy when comple 20 character random passwords made up of capitals, lower case, numbers and "special characters" such as "%" and "&" and "@" and the like. No one is going to guess your passwords!

It has been rock solid from day one. They have never asked for a nickel. With my master password, I can open my password file on my machine any time I want and there's no way they can stop me and no way for them to engage in "legal extortion." And if that's not good enough, I can export my password file to a spreadsheet on my machine as an extra backup. I do that periodically and then encrypt the spreadsheet with PGP.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
" AHill
Welcome to WoodNet V2. When the software switched over and we had to login using our email address, I believe our email addresses were all compromised or hacked. (WoodNet denies this.) "

Didn't need hacking. The new owners sent an email to (not bcc: like it should have been) every registered user email address; it was simple for a spammer to.harvest them all.
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008