transplanting trees - when?
Trees seem to move best when leafless. I don't like the term "dormant" because in my experience trees grow roots when they are not growing leaves. If you move them early enough in the fall, then they will repair roots until spring. But if you are in cold weather climate, now would work. I have tried several times to move sassafras trees and have never been successful. Be sure to get a good root ball and pamper the tree once you move it.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Part of the problem with moving sassafras is it they are very aggressive route suckering trees. That means you might have one big tree with what appears to be separate saplings that are coming off of its roots. Each one of those saplings is not supported by its owner it's system but by the root system of the big tree. If you dig up one of the little saplings in that situation it is very likely you do not have enough roots.
So the consensus is to get at it soon. After this hopefully final winter weekend. The sassafras that I have sorted out are out in the open away from the big trees where there will not be big roots to deal with. If they don't survive I'm only out my effort and can try again [or say the heck with it].

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.