Sharpening Stone Stations - Pics Please....
(05-03-2018, 10:00 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I tried water stones ... 
I still use it but more on the order of a sacrament; sprinkle, create slurry, wipe before moving to next grit, then clean. Put bowl in dish washer and we are done.

Laugh 

That made me laugh!

Thanks 
Yes
Peter

My "day job"
"I may be the only anal one concerned with cross contamination of abrasive grits."

Nope
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(05-03-2018, 05:04 PM)cputnam Wrote: "I may be the only anal one concerned with cross contamination of abrasive grits."

Nope

Thanks! 

[Image: yellowlaugh.gif] 

That made me laugh!

Thanks  [Image: yellowyes.gif]" "

Oh, Good! Thought of you, Father, and almost removed the reference. Then, I realized they sprinkle almost everywhere.
(05-03-2018, 07:26 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Thanks! 

[Image: yellowlaugh.gif] 

That made me laugh!

Thanks  [Image: yellowyes.gif]" "

Oh, Good! Thought of you, Father, and almost removed the reference. Then, I realized they sprinkle almost everywhere.

We do!

It's one of the reasons that I love being a priest.  
Laugh

Nothing like the sprinkling of some Holy Water! 
Yes
Peter

My "day job"
Thanks to all for your input
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I have set up a couple of ways to do sharpening.  I have a sink in the garage/shop, but not enough counter room to do actual sharpening by the sink.  So I soak the stones and carry this over to my bench.  It has a stop under the front to help keep it in place.  

[Image: 9342466048_3e9328cbb5_z.jpg]

Here's another shot, with the angles written on the blocks to set sharpening angles for an eclipse jig.  Note the little cutout for the diamond plate - had to add that after the plate got stuck in there and I couldn't get it out!

[Image: 9342470010_2b4d26b85d_z.jpg]

And another one, but this one is set up for a Oneway Grind 'N Hone jig.  It can also be used with acrylic plates infused with diamond paste.  I tend to use the first one more, it is a little faster setup.  Both of these are made from scrap PVC  cutoffs from a local paint/plastics store.  

[Image: 9342499808_6653444314_z.jpg]
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
(05-11-2018, 03:22 PM)BaileyNo5 Wrote: I have set up a couple of ways to do sharpening.  I have a sink in the garage/shop, but not enough counter room to do actual sharpening by the sink.  So I soak the stones and carry this over to my bench.  It has a stop under the front to help keep it in place.  

[Image: 9342466048_3e9328cbb5_z.jpg]
Plastics!

Wow.  Just found my weekend project.  OK, maybe next weekend when it's not Mother's Day.  I have made a couple of angle setting jigs out of wood, copying Deneb's design, but they always get really nasty looking.  I love the fact that you can just rinse it off and not worry about how wet the thing gets.  
The slots for the stones is an interesting twist, but I tend to use a variety of stones that are all different sizes.  I am really going to make one. 

What kind of glue did you use to attach the little cleats?

Thanks for posting.

Steve
(05-11-2018, 04:26 PM)Steve Friedman Wrote: The slots for the stones is an interesting twist, but I tend to use a variety of stones that are all different sizes.  I am really going to make one. 

What kind of glue did you use to attach the little cleats?

Thanks for posting.

Steve

Hi Steve

I also have different size stones - so the spacers you see between the stones are not glued down.  A few different sized spacers, and you can put in whatever size stones you want.  The diamond stone is the only one that has a fixed holder.

I used a glue/solvent called Weld-On 2007.  It is a thin solvent that basically dissolves the PVC and welds the two pieces together.  I would dry-fit two pieces, then lay down a thin bead on the joint (you need a little squeeze bottle with a needle tip).  It would immediately imbibe into the joint and form a bond.  It's a nice clean way to do it.  You can use regular PVC cement, but it can get messy.  As with any solvent the Weld-On 2007 is nasty stuff so be careful with it.

And cleanup is a breeze, just hose it down.

To size yours, just do a mock-up layout with your stones or plates.

[Image: 9342462604_5ed213a7d5_z.jpg]
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
(05-11-2018, 04:26 PM)Steve Friedman Wrote: I have made a couple of angle setting jigs out of wood, copying Deneb's design....
Steve

I also copied parts of Deneb's design (thanks Deneb!), just used a different material and modded the design here and there.
Very helpful.  Thanks.

I have used Deneb's jig at Lie-Nielsen and made mine smaller - without the spot for the diamond plate.  I'm liking the size of yours and may try something like that to be able to have space for all the stones.  My current setup only has space for one stone at a time.    

Steve