plane hammer
In contrast to the $135.00 plane hammer I posted earlier, there is this option from Harbor Freight for $6.99 with an additional 20% off on Father's Day weekend.

[Image: IMG_2106.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2107.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2108.jpg]

Just sharing more options.

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I have been using one from LV for many years.
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...,230,41182
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

(06-08-2018, 08:40 AM)GeorgeV Wrote: I have been using one from LV for many years.
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...,230,41182

Another alternative, 8oz.....

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/g...ammer.html

[Image: 158873_1_2.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
when you strike the back of a molding plane or any plane that doesn’t have a strike button, you can dent the end grain. I feel like dead blow would be the right tool for that. Does anyone use those? I have a slimline dead blow I use for carpentry. It’s one of my favorite hammers. Would probably do a good job on wedges and irons too.

I recently bought a titanium framing hammer, which supposedly works the same way.
Adam, I've got a lightweight little mallet for hitting moulders. Rounded one side. It's plenty heavy enough for wedge setting and removal. Use brass on the irons.

[Image: 19429302_319718965123443_114210719356734....jpg?ssl=1]
Freelance Animator & Motion Artist, JQuack Design
Quackenbush Woodworks
Made my own a few years ago. Here it is, the fitting of the brass rings and handle.
Cannot find the finished picture.

Anyhow, I made a trade with John Fry and sent it to him.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Xacto used to make a decent small hammer....multi heads, too     Still have mine.    Has the plastic head, and the brass head.....have lost the steel head and a ball head...

However...this is what I use a lot of...

Tinner's Riveting Hammer,   7oz..maybe?   Brad hammer as well.   Even has been used on Mortise chisels.....

Could always use one of these...usually have to make your own handle..
Rolleyes  

Like I did...

Small Cobbler's Hammer...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(07-10-2018, 02:12 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: when you strike the back of a molding plane or any plane that doesn’t have a strike button, you can dent the end grain. I feel like dead blow would be the right tool for that. Does anyone use those? I have a slimline dead blow I use for carpentry. It’s one of my favorite hammers. Would probably do a good job on wedges and irons too.

I recently bought a titanium framing hammer, which supposedly works the same way.

Would Titanium absorb impact vibrations the same way as hickory? I did a lot of 'dumpster diving' at Boeing Surplus. Ti doesn't have the same feel as steel or wood. The only advantage, to me, is weight. But some of the Aluminum grades should compete with Ti regarding weight. However, the 'upper' grades of Al don't feel too comfortable at the grip of a wack either. 

BTW, I don't use tap-and-fuss planes, yet.
(07-11-2018, 10:42 AM)hbmcc Wrote: BTW, I don't use tap-and-fuss planes, yet.

Ummm, Bruce, your day is coming...
Skip

The power of suggestion....
I've been following this thread, and come across a NOS Millers Falls brass hammer so of course I had to buy it.
Just curious, is this a plane hammer?

Attached Files Image(s)