New Chain Saw
(06-16-2018, 03:53 PM)daddo Wrote: ...

I've heard Echo is good from a tree guy.

The Echo CS-355T top handle saw gets really good reviews.  (I have one that I haven't put gas in yet, so I cannot comment personally).  Most of the other Echo saws are good, but a step down from Husqvarna and Stihl.  But their pricing and warranty is attractive enough to be worth considering if you have a good local dealer. I'd still say shop the dealer. If there isn't a good Husqvarna or Stihl dealer close by, but there is a good Echo dealer, that would be my choice!
I heat with wood...at least 75%. I got my 455 Rancher from Lowe's with a discount card about 6 years ago. My dad heats with wood and has been for all my life. He has had "homeowner " type Husky saws for as long as I remember  including a few from Lowe's. I don't get why anybody would spend more on a pro grade saw for what the OP said would be occasional use....UNLESS you are trying to run a saw mill or something. 

Just my opinion.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Speaking for myself...I've figured out over the years that I can't afford to buy cheap tools. He'll probably never need another saw for the rest of his life if he takes reasonable care of it and doesn't need more than a 20" bar.
I needed a saw only once in a while I had an old Polan and an old Stilh but both needed more repairs then they were worth.  I just enede up getting a Blue Max with a 14 and 20 inch bar that I have had for 3 years now and have not had any trouble.  It does seem to run with less vibration then the other 2 also
I bought an Echo CS-590 about 4 years ago to replace my Old McCulloch 610. Great saw! I have been taking down 24-28" diameter oak trees and haven't had a bit of problem. It is a 60cc saw and starts and runs whenever I need it and gets it done. I tend to think it is the best bang for the buck @ $400 and a 5 year warranty. I do only run ethanol free 91 octane with the Echo synthetic oil.
I think most problems are from alcohol in the gas. Alcohol causes all kinds of problems in the world, and not just for engines.
Uhoh