How Do You tell If It Is Japanning?
Today I picked up a Bailey #3, Bedrock 607, and a WWII Bailey #7. The WWII #7 is the nicest used plane I have ever seen. So nice I was immediately suspicious it had been painted but the person I bought it from assured me it is totally original. The iron says "VICTORY" with "MADE IN USA" underneath. The owner said the iron was sub contacted by Stanley. Anyway I'm asking if anyone knows how to determine whether the "japanning" is genuine without damaging the finish. The finish is rounded on the letters and numbers as it should be. At the toe and heel there are tiny chips to the finish. I tried to see if I could chip off a tiny bit with my fingernail but it appears to be tough, unlike paint. Other than those two things I'm out of ideas.

Any suggestions appreciated.
(07-13-2018, 10:46 PM)HomerLee Wrote: Today I picked up a Bailey #3, Bedrock 607, and a WWII Bailey #7. The WWII #7 is the nicest used plane I have ever seen. So nice I was immediately suspicious it had been painted but the person I bought it from assured me it is totally original. The iron says "VICTORY" with "MADE IN USA" underneath. The owner said the iron was sub contacted by Stanley. Anyway I'm asking if anyone knows how to determine whether the "japanning" is genuine without damaging the finish. The finish is rounded on the letters and numbers as it should be. At the toe and heel there are tiny chips to the finish. I tried to see if I could chip off a tiny bit with my fingernail but it appears to be tough, unlike paint. Other than those two things I'm out of ideas.

Any suggestions appreciated.

If it looks good, why does it matter?  But look for overspray under the frog and other areas, maybe there are more clues if it was painted.

Also, the Victory irons were produced to commemorate winning the war.
(07-14-2018, 01:08 AM)orokes77 Wrote: If it looks good, why does it matter?  But look for overspray under the frog and other areas, maybe there are more clues if it was painted.

Also, the Victory irons were produced to commemorate winning the war.
 Thanks for the reply. I will thoroughly inspect the places you suggested. 

It is important to me because I am not a collector and as a user I have no need of it. It needs to go to someone who collects these or prefers the heavy plane for a user and it is significantly heavier than usual. Not the difference between the Bedrock 607 And WWII casting:

Anyway, I would be sick if I passed this on to someone as all original and then it turned out to be painted.