Help me choose a Table Saw
Hi, all, I have small shop (one car garage) and I'm looking to add a table saw.  While I'm impressed with the SawStop line, my wallet isn't.

I'm looking, I think, at a contractor type saw sine I work with oak, maple, cherry and similar woods up to 1" thick. I won't be ripping big panels, so I don't need a huge table.  The space I have is limited so I'm thinking of putting the saw on locking wheels.

I'm a hobbyist, not a professional so I'll be using the saw several times each month, not hours each day.  

What I'm looking for is advice on brands. I've seen Craftsman, Delta, Powermatic, Grizzly, and others. If you were in my shoes, which would you avoid? I'm not against buying used - in fact, that probably going to be necessary with my $600 budget.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
You might can find a use cabinet saw in that price range. Ether it be a Delta or Powermatic 66.
You should be able to get a used Unisaw, etc. for $600.  IMHO, that is a much better option than any new contractor type saw.  

John
(07-19-2018, 05:45 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You should be able to get a used Unisaw, etc. for $600.  IMHO, that is a much better option than any new contractor type saw.  

John

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Most of the user Powermatic 66 saws around here range from $480 (really rough shape) to over $3,000. That's why I dodn't consider them - just too far out of the price range.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
(07-19-2018, 08:18 PM)5thumbs Wrote: Most of the user Powermatic 66 saws around here range from $480 (really rough shape) to over $3,000. That's why I dodn't consider them - just too far out of the price range.

When buying used, you have to be patient.  These sort of things are quite local; it may take several months to find what you want, but when it comes up you have to drop everything and jump on the opportunity.  It takes discipline, watching CL and estate/garage sales on a consistent basis.  Finding tools in the wild, whether power tools, or hand tools, takes a lot of work and dedication to the task.  Keep watching, something will come up
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-19-2018, 08:18 PM)5thumbs Wrote: Most of the user Powermatic 66 saws around here range from $480 (really rough shape) to over $3,000. That's why I dodn't consider them - just too far out of the price range.

Around here is relative.  I've driven over 5 hours one way with no regrets to buy a machine.  Widen your search area and, as was said, be patient and then pounce when you find what you are looking for.  

John
Watch for a deal on a used Unisaw or PM 66 in excellent condition.
Wood is good. 
I started out with a Delta model 34-444 contractor's saw back in my garage in Colorado. I never had any trouble with any of the hardwoods I used up to 8/4. As long as you keep a sharp blade mounted, the 1 3/4hp motor of a contractor's saw will work fine in a garage/small shop when mounted on a mobile base. In fact, I'm still using it.
Winkgrin

I think you're on the right track when thinking about a contractor's saw that's in good shape. My guess is you'll find one at a pretty good price...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(07-19-2018, 04:58 PM)5thumbs Wrote: The space I have is limited so I'm thinking of putting the saw on locking wheels.
And keep in mind that a traditional contractors saw actually has a larger footprint than a cabinet saw, due to the motor sticking out the back.  You could, of course, remove the motor to get it tighter to the wall, but that gets old.  
I used to tuck my Unisaw, with 52" fence and CI wing on the left side, against a wall under a high bench in my last house, and just wheel it out to use.  The Beisemeyer fence would have to be removed to put it away, but it just lifts off.

If looking at used CS's, I'd advise staying away from older ones with flex drives to the blade, or direct-drive with universal motors.  Those sometimes have a short belt to the blade, inside a housing.  I just don't like universal motors on machines that don't need them (like a router), and my TS is my main machine, and it would irritate me to no end to hear that thing scream every time I need to make a cut.  But that's me.  

They're also not as robust as a machine with an induction motor, as a general rule, and the induction motors on a CS are easy to replace if necessary.  Fry a universal in a CS, and you're out of luck, especially for an older one, or out of pocket for a lot on a newer one.
But I'd first look far and wide for a G350, PM66, Unisaw, or even a clean Grizz.  And watch out for ads in CL or other places - hybrids and even contractor saws sometimes are misrepresented as cabinet saws.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"