How to protect hand tools from rust
Where I live next to a vast water source, humidity rarely goes below 50%; it's 75% today and we are in the middle of the hottest, driest three weeks of the year. Wool fat works for me. Use it to lubricate cutting tools--I ate it when I wrestled. You can buy a jar online, or a can of Fluid Film from the auto store. It's natural stuff; sheeps can't be wrong. When's the last time you saw a rusty ewe?

Worked great on my new LV low angle BU plane that suddenly was shot with a fine coat of carmine pencil lead colored rust. That was the most amazing transformation I witnessed with steel.

Mostly, periodically, I break down planes and such, then clean all of the dust collected in corners and between steel contacts with a clean rag lightly sprayed with FF. Moisture loves dust and crud.
I've been using the rag-in-a-can method, but with synthetic motor oil. It works well.

However, I keep my tools mostly in a tool chest, so dust isn't really an issue. If I were keeping my tools on exposed shelf, I think I'd do something else.

+1 on the Boeshield. There are a number of similar products, and they do work very well. I've used them on displayed knife blades, and they prevent rust even in humid environments. Johnson's paste wax will also work fine if you're pinching pennies.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I guess I learned something about spontaneous combustion of oils. I've wondered that for a long time. I do keep an "oily" rag in the garage for wiping off metal items, but I always drape it over something when not using it. Probably still will.
(07-24-2018, 09:33 AM)Herb G Wrote: Boeshield.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001447PEK

This.
For rasps you could use a brass brush to clean.
Then, you add 3-4 drops of oil and a brush stroke.

Noël
www.liogier-france.com
“Anything worth doing is worth doing well”
(07-31-2018, 12:34 AM)liogier Wrote: For rasps you could use a brass brush to clean.
Then, you add 3-4 drops of oil and a brush stroke.

Noël

Super! Thanks for the recommendation Mr. Liogier. I have always wondered how to maintain my rasps.
Main way I prevent rust.....is to use the tools...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Where's Jack, he should be recommending his favorite, mutton tallow!  It really works too.  A little goes a long way....

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...3415,43440
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Do the oils/waxes/compounds ever end up on your project wood and cause trouble with stains or topcoats? Seems like it oughtta.
(07-31-2018, 11:57 PM)Bozz Wrote: Do the oils/waxes/compounds ever end up on your project wood and cause trouble with stains or topcoats?  Seems like it oughtta.

I use the tallow for longer term storage, but the users are wiped with a light coat of camellia oil and that does not interfere at all.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis