How to protect hand tools from rust
In your situation just keep an eye on things.  The little rubber abrasive cubes work really well at removing light surface oxidation.

Wax will not prevent rust, trust me. I use Jotoba oil.

There is no big issue using oils etc getting on wood unless your dousing it down where its dripping or something.

Whenever I hone an iron or chisel, I wipe down with WD40 because I use water stones & yup, I do it and never ever had an issue.

Every so often I when honing I remove the frog thoroughly clean, inspect for rust and lubricate the lands.
A couple years ago, I mentioned here that my carving chisel set developed some rust while stored in a canvas roll. I normally don't get much rust on my tools, but those chisels were the exception. I waxed the canvas, cleaned up the carving chisels and put them back away. Just pulled them out yesterday to use on a quick project, and they are developing rust again. I thought I left oil on them when I put them back up. Going to have to try another storage strategy. Might make a wooden box to store them in.

How to get the rust off a whole set of chisels without spending a lot of time?

How do you store carving chisels that don't get used often? That canvas roll is not working out too well for me.
Put them back in a box....all those little packets they place in bottles of pills.....throw a few into the box with the chisels.    Drug store counter person will give you a bag of the things, rather than throw them away.   Might ask around ....
Cool

I also use a wad of steel wool, that has a bit of 3in1 oil in it......rub it around a bit,  then wipe off any excess.  
Cool
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-01-2018, 09:53 AM)Scoony Wrote: A couple years ago, I mentioned here that my carving chisel set developed some rust while stored in a canvas roll. I normally don't get much rust on my tools, but those chisels were the exception. I waxed the canvas, cleaned up the carving chisels and put them back away. Just pulled them out yesterday to use on a quick project, and they are developing rust again.  I thought I left oil on them when I put them back up. Going to have to try another storage strategy. Might make a wooden box to store them in.

How to get the rust off a whole set of chisels without spending a lot of time?

How do you store carving chisels that don't get used often? That canvas roll is not working out too well for me.
Tallow works and has protected tools for many centuries....but I use a product for long term storage called RIG {rust inhibiting grease} on my firearms, and have for forty years..never a failure to prevent rust...It will also work to protect any ferrous metal from rust, including tools...A very light film is all that's required.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I think many oils do attract and hold dust. Wood dust seems to be particularly corrosive. I’ve been in commercial shops that work with MDF. That seems worse only because it’s so fine it seems to go everywhere.

So, for guys like me and maybe Paul Sellers, using your tools often helps! And not having a shop with power tools or mdf helps.

Beyond that, I think it’s a great idea to disassemble and clean after working. Pine shavings that stick in your cap iron after use really rust your blade. I typically use WD-40 to wipe down metal parts. I dry them off with a paper towel with no intention of leaving a film, but I’m sure that happens.

So, my advice is put it back clean and keep your shop clean. Last, consider moving tools into a traditional wooden chest.
(07-28-2018, 02:12 PM)Cian Wrote: This.

Ditto.  Boeshield, developed by Boeing, is an aerosol spray that dries to a dry wax.  Reliably protects all parts of the tool but is visible only on the machined iron surfaces.  I don't even wipe off the excess.  Great for machinery tables too.
(08-06-2018, 08:04 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: So, my advice is put it back clean and keep your shop clean. Last, consider moving tools into a traditional wooden chest.

Adam,

Nice to have you around again. I miss your articles in PWW.  I do keep my tools in a wooden chest, and for the most part do not have issues with rust. My carving set was cleaned, oiled and stored in the waxed canvas tool roll and still started to rust again. I am going to have to figure out a different storage strategy, maybe a wooden box made to fit them all.
Ok. Conspiracy theory time. What is the canvas material made out of? Canvas is a weave of strong fiber, not a material. Some say synthetic canvases need strong mordant to lock in dyes. The mordants can have a low pH and be corrosive to steel.

My chisel rolls are natural colored cotton duck canvas. But tools in them still rust. I think the canvas is good for really dirty environments. Otherwise, I think I do better with tools in wooden racks.

Ditto, make sure the wood you choose isn’t tannin rich oaks and the like.
(08-09-2018, 05:43 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: Ok. Conspiracy theory time. What is the canvas material made out of? Canvas is a weave of strong fiber, not a material. Some say synthetic canvases need strong mordant to lock in dyes. The mordants can have a low pH and be corrosive to steel.

My chisel rolls are natural colored cotton duck canvas. But tools in them still rust. I think the canvas is good for really dirty environments. Otherwise, I think I do better with tools in wooden racks.

Ditto, make sure the wood you choose isn’t tannin rich oaks and the like.
I don't think tool rolls or plane socks are your friend, regardless of the material.  They are ok for transportation but not for storage.  They draw and hold moisture.  Storing a car under a car cover can spell disaster in the same way.
(07-24-2018, 09:33 AM)Herb G Wrote: Boeshield.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001447PEK

Me too.  For about 20 years now
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished