What happened to Wenzolff and Sons?
(08-20-2018, 07:11 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Is it possible to flush that Nordic rat out???

Alan - I think it's worth a try...
Laugh

He surfaces for air once in a while.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-20-2018, 06:54 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: They did? What changes did it cause? I thought they changed the ownership only which is no longer Woodsmith.

It says "Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2018 MyBB Group." at the bottom of the site. Most forums these days are using either vBulletin or phpBB. I thought that WN used to use one of them. I honestly hadn't logged in here in a while, but if you go to search people it's just fubar, IMO. Can you search for someone? If I pick the letter of their last name I get a gazillion names in that alphabetic category, because they have like 10 billion registered woodworkers and it's impossible to get a hold of them if there's a problem and you don't have access to WN, that's my experience.

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, whoever owns this site doesn't seem to have managed it very well as it was one of the top woodworking forums on the Internet and it is what it is now and they own it.

I don't even see Dominick around and he's the moderator. What if a guy like me decided to post in the hand tool forum? What if I spoke the way you didn't like? Or what if I used language that you didn't like? Cause I grew in California, and we don't normally give 2 f#@$s about what others think in some cases...that's the type of stuff that bothers people, but that people need to understand...this is the Internet...it is supposed to be neutral, agnostic to all...but people will say, "that's not the language we use in our church, and on our forums you need to use that type of language..." As soon as I posted a few messages a few different people implied they didn't like what I was saying about Bob Smalzer and how that was what was ruining forums. One has only posted 5 posts this year but says how much he enjoys WN. Well, people don't like searching through 5-10 year posts to find answers, people like to follow and talk about what they are doing now, today, and what they'll be doing tomorrow.

In the end people have the freedom of choice on whether they use the fora or not. Fora are just that, it's like a community. There are new communities as I mentioned, FB, IG, even Twitter...one thing I will give the nod to here at WN, I don't see too many ads...and I'm just fine with that...I hate ads, I hate TV, I hate FB, I hate Google...their power is at other people's expense. We search at Google and ads pop up on our screen...because Google has their claws into most everyone online...and TV too!

The problem here at WN is not any one thing, it's not just the software, it's not a specific post, it's not a specific person...well, at least I can say it is certainly not because of me since I hadn't posted here in over 10 years...it certainly is the people, it certainly is the times which do change, but there is not much happening here at the end of the day. If that is the type of forum you want to come to, by all means don't encourage people to post, nit pick about the words they use, or take your high road to Neverland...everyone has a choice.
Wink

Alan
(08-20-2018, 07:11 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Jack,

Was definitely Todd Hughes I was talking about, not sure about Steve, but he was right about Todd Hughes.

Care for a stroll back through memory lane? I'll post it anyway...even if you don't want a stroll...after all, this is the Internet...I still have a link in my smithy links and believe it or not, this link is still active, a testimony in itself...

Todd Hughes makes a hewing axe

But where is Leif? We need to get Leif to surface...after all, it WAS Leif that got people interested in making saws to begin with, it WAS Leif that showed people how to fold brass backs, it WAS Leif that was always helping everyone with anything saws, provided PPI charts to file against, and was a pioneer of handsaws.

Is it possible to flush that Nordic rat out???

Alan - I think it's worth a try...
Laugh
Leif has been posting down in the basement as recently as this past weekend...

And Todd Cronkhite is the wood netter who introduced Todd Hughes to this forum. He is a longtime friend of Hughes, but no longer posts here on woodnet.

Edit...Lief is the first one on this forum to fold his backs for his saws..and one of the first {if not the very first} to make saws for sale..Cian has several of them IIRC.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-20-2018, 07:38 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: He surfaces for air once in a while.

(08-20-2018, 07:57 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: Leif has been posting down in the basement as recently as this past weekend...
I saw he posted there, but it looked like he's only posted a handful of messages over the past 6 months.

(08-20-2018, 07:57 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: And Todd Cronkhite is the wood netter who introduced Todd Hughes to this forum. He is a longtime friend of Hughes, but no longer posts here on woodnet.
I actually do remember him.

(08-20-2018, 07:57 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: Edit...Lief is the first one on this forum to fold his backs for his saws..and one of the first {if not the very first} to make saws for sale..Cian has several of them IIRC.
Cian Perez was another I was going to ask about, he did in fact own a pair of Leif's saws. I didn't get in on Leif's saws in those days, I was too slow, they sold out in a few hours..I think he made 2 batches, maybe a dozen or two each batch. I remember Cian living in Chicago.

EDIT: gosh I'm full of old links today...I have a large set of bookmarks I propagate to my browsers and still have woodworking links from 12+ years ago...go figure...

Cian Perez Woodworking

Cheers,

Alan
(08-21-2018, 05:08 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I saw he posted there, but it looked like he's only posted a handful of messages over the past 6 months.

I actually do remember him.

Cian Perez was another I was going to ask about, he did in fact own a pair of Leif's saws. I didn't get in on Leif's saws in those days, I was too slow, they sold out in a few hours..I think he made 2 batches, maybe a dozen or two each batch. I remember Cian living in Chicago.

EDIT: gosh I'm full of old links today...I have a large set of bookmarks I propagate to my browsers and still have woodworking links from 12+ years ago...go figure...

Cian Perez Woodworking

Cheers,

Alan
Allan, Cian posts frequently in the basement..He's got more tools than Carter has liver pills.....but recently he has become interested in long range rifle shooting, so I guess we better stock up on ammo before he buys it all.....
Crazy
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-21-2018, 05:08 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Cian Perez was another I was going to ask about, he did in fact own a pair of Leif's saws. I didn't get in on Leif's saws in those days, I was too slow, they sold out in a few hours..I think he made 2 batches, maybe a dozen or two each batch. I remember Cian living in Chicago.

Scroll down a bit here.......

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/T...graphy.htm
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-20-2018, 06:41 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Yeah, I was hoping I would have gotten a reply from him when I tried to contact him.

I'll second that...

BTW, I don't know who decided to change this software here on Woodnet, but it sucks a hard boiled egg. Maybe that's why 'mill creep is so busy...
Laugh

Alan

August Home was sold in 2015.  The software change to WoodNet came about in 2016.  I was thinking the forum was still sponsored and run by Woodsmith when the software change happened, but it's clearly not owned by Woodsmith anymore.  There were a LOT of problems with the software change, and we lost a lot of members in the process.  I think they wanted to keep in-house admins to resolve issues, and I don't know that they were up to the task.  There are some benefits to the new software (e.g. no expiration date on threads), but with more venues for woodworking (e.g. blogs and YouTube), along with the exodus of a lot of popular contributors, I think a lot of the interest in the forum has waned.  I am also a member of Sawmill Creek, but I don't go there that often.  I don't know if their participation has waned as much as WN.

Here are some other frequent contributors that seem to have dropped out of sight or who post far less frequently:

Joel Moskowitz (Tools for Working Wood)
Bob Smalser (already mentioned)
RoboHippy (turning forum)
Christopher Schwarz (yes, he used to post)
Bob Lang (PWW editor, still posts a bit)
Glen Huey (PWW staff)
Chuck Bender (PWW staff)
Elinorunning (Megan Fitzpatrick - Former Editor of Popular Woodworking)
Wilbur Pan (Japanese tools aficianado, Popular Woodworking contributor)
Schtoo (Tools from Japan owner, Japanese tools expert)
Dave Diaman (Period furniture savant)

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more.  These are a few I remember.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I recall seeing Chris Schwarz (not on this forum) saying about being fed up with responding to posts that he thought was unfair or outrageous. I don't think he posts anywhere other than in his own blog which he can control. Few vendors these days post in fora although they still "monitor" forum discussions that affect them. When you have a business, it is hard to argue in public with someone who is not in your circle. Why waste the time, and you need more than just thick skin.

More and more people prefer Instagram as you usually get support and praises there, and critical views are far far fewer than you would get in a public forum.

The Creek is talking about moving to a paid membership site because of dwindling ad revenue. How that, when implemented, will affect its membership and participation will take some time to be known.

Simon
Well, it's nice to see WoodNet operating the way it used to.  Ah, the extended replies to off-handed remarks, the bashing of SMC, and the interminable threads...  It's nice to see you guys back at it.

And you know, I'm not even sure whether I'm being sarcastic there or not. 

So carry on, folks.  But be nice.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(08-21-2018, 10:19 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Well, it's nice to see WoodNet operating the way it used to.  Ah, the extended replies to off-handed remarks, the bashing of SMC, and the interminable threads...  It's nice to see you guys back at it.

I am pretty sure this is not unique to Woodnet, and most fora behave just like that. It is the nature of forum dynamics, unless very strict moderation policy is in place and followed.

Simon