Possible Stanley No 1 find and question
Came across an ad for old woodworking tools.  Stopped by and looked at them and found what looks to be a Stanley No 1.  I'm not positive it's an actual No 1 or a reproduction/fake but it appears to be the real deal:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmp26SrU

The tote has a clean break in it that will need to be repaired and the plane has quite a bit of rust on it.  How should I approach cleaning this up?  Not looking to repaint it or anything, just give it a good cleaning and then determine if I'll keep it or give it a new home.
(10-11-2018, 11:35 AM)greatscott Wrote: Came across an ad for old woodworking tools.  Stopped by and looked at them and found what looks to be a Stanley No 1.  I'm not positive it's an actual No 1 or a reproduction/fake but it appears to be the real deal:

The tote has a clean break in it that will need to be repaired and the plane has quite a bit of rust on it.  How should I approach cleaning this up?  Not looking to repaint it or anything, just give it a good cleaning and then determine if I'll keep it or give it a new home.

The easiest way to tell a fake #1 from a real #1 is the adjuster rod, i.e. the threaded rod that the depth adjuster screws onto. On a real one it is dead parallel to the sole of the plane but on the fakes it is usually slightly tilted. Hard to tell this from pictures, of course, but yours looks pretty much parallel to me.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

It's the real deal.
(10-11-2018, 04:16 PM)med-one Wrote: It's the real deal.

Yup.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
How much do they want for it?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-12-2018, 01:41 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: How much do they want for it?

Based on my experience, I would recommend that you buy that plane only if it is available for less than a few hundred dollars.  Given the condition it is in, it won't bring the $1000-1200 that the ones in great condition can command.  The reason I say this is that I found that once I had a #1, I couldn't get the thought out of my head that I could use that same money to buy useful, quality hand planes.  So, that is exactly what I did....sold it for a nice profit,  The other thing I learned is that replacing damaged parts for #1's is prohibitively expensive.  Mine needed a better lever cap (corner broken off) , and I remember that cap being about $300 alone.
Good point, Mike. In some cases, if you're just after the resale value, a tool like that can bring in more money if you sell the parts individually.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I have all but the #1 on my type 13 set. If I do the cheap barn find, that would be super. But I'm not paying new car price to get one.
Smile
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-15-2018, 08:27 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I have all but the #1 on my type 13 set. If I do the cheap barn find, that would be super. But I'm not paying new car price to get one.
Smile
Just an observation but I don't think the price of an average #1 has increased very much at all over the last 15 years or so...But that's pretty true regarding vintage hand tools in general..when compared to how much the price of new tools has increased...Even Harbor Freight has raised their prices significantly over the past couple years.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-11-2018, 11:35 AM)greatscott Wrote: Came across an ad for old woodworking tools.  Stopped by and looked at them and found what looks to be a Stanley No 1.  I'm not positive it's an actual No 1 or a reproduction/fake but it appears to be the real deal:

Jackpot! Congrats on a scarce find.