night stands
I made two night stands for my daughter out of cherry and finished them with just clear shellac.  Now she wants to use them in a different room and wants them to be white.  I hate like crazy to paint them or chalk paint them white now.  Any suggested alternatives?  What about putting white dye in shellac and putting a couple coats of that on?  Not sure it would adequately cover.  Any advice, as always, is welcome.
(10-13-2018, 07:49 PM)fptahoe Wrote: I made two night stands for my daughter out of cherry and finished them with just clear shellac.  Now she wants to use them in a different room and wants them to be white.  I hate like crazy to paint them or chalk paint them white now.  Any suggested alternatives?  What about putting white dye in shellac and putting a couple coats of that on?  Not sure it would adequately cover.  Any advice, as always, is welcome.

Could you build new ones of paint grade wood like yellow poplar?
(10-13-2018, 07:51 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Could you build new ones of paint grade wood like yellow poplar?

I could but I won't.  It is going to be these and they are going to be white.  I just need to figure out they best way to get them white and still looking nice.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.
(10-13-2018, 07:54 PM)fptahoe Wrote: I could but I won't.  It is going to be these and they are going to be white.  I just need to figure out they best way to get them white and still looking nice.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

What about Zinsser BIN shellac, it is white in the can.  If it is not white enough it makes a excellent primer for paint.   Roly
I would also hate to paint a cherry piece. On the up side, you have shellac on it. You can paint it now and keep paint out of direct contact with the wood so that, in the future, if you ever want to restore the cherry look, you will be able to strip it more easily and cleanly before re-appling a clear finish. I would put on a complete coat of BIN primer. It is shellac based and will be sure to adhere to the existing shellac and will make a good primer for the paint. Good luck.