Hand Drill with Soul!
Does anyone remember the netter that has parts for hand drills?  I pick up a #5 Millers Falls at the swap meet and, after cleaning it up, I am impressed with how good shape it is in and intend to use it as my 'go to' at my bench.  Problem is that it is missing the (stationary) knob...not the one that turns the gear. I surely would like to find one.  Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Don
Are you thinking of WaltQ? Sadly, Walt passed away a couple of years ago. Super guy. I got a hand brace one time off eBay, and the jaws were missing. Walt sent me a pair of jaws for free without even asking. The world needs more folks like Walt. Good luck in your hunt for a knob. You might try contacting George Langford. He might be the world's authority on MF braces. His website is https://www.georgesbasement.com/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Somewhere in the world the secret and despised collector of handdrill side handles has boxes and boxes of these handles (along with medallions from saw handles)
Mad .  What a treasure when this hoard gets found !
Smile
George Langford, George's Basement. He is in PA and provided me with jaws for a hand drill.
About half way between Berwyn & Paoli, about 100 yards from Rt 30. Look for Haylesford train station on the Serpta train line.
http://www.georgesbasement.com/
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

If it's a common thread, can you make one? I got a couple I should do that to myself. Especially if it is a user.
I have one that I want to fabricate myself.  Folks here had told me the common thread gage, and I did verify it with some simple test bolt like a toilet-mounting bolt.   I just haven't got around to it yet!

Chris
Chris
(10-29-2018, 02:29 AM)DonSlaughter Wrote:  Problem is that it is missing the (stationary) knob...not the one that turns the gear. I surely would like to find one.  Any suggestions?

They are ALWAYS missing, to the point where when I find an eggbeater with one, I highlight it in my S&S posts.  Don't have any now, but note that depending on the vintage of manufacture, there are some variations I've noticed in the threading of MF's side knobs.  The suggestion to turn your own has a lot of merit, as they did use common thread sizes which can be had, so some maple, red dye, the right screw and some epoxy, and Bob's your uncle.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I seem to remember that they are a common thread. Since I have a "hand drill problem" (I hear recognizing you have one is the first step to overcoming it), I've made more than one of them

I remember that I found the right size bolt,, cut off the head, roughed out a cylinder and drilled a hole in the end. Then I epoxied the threaded portion of the bolt in and wrapped it in blue tape to protect the threads (somewhat). After it dried overnight, I held it by the threads in the long jaws on my Oneway chuck and turned it between centers to somewhere near the correct profile. I then turned a short tenon on the small end to fit a piece of 1/2" copper pipe that acted as the bushing. The bushing got glued in place and then I final turned and sanded it. A couple of coats of TruOil and BOOM, you're done.

I've used this method to also make crank handles for drills as well. The only thing is, choose your wood well. Use something dense and hard. Otherwise it'll break in use (DAMHIKT)
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
(10-30-2018, 02:45 PM)Admiral Wrote: They are ALWAYS missing, to the point where when I find an eggbeater with one, I highlight it in my S&S posts.  Don't have any now, but note that depending on the vintage of manufacture, there are some variations I've noticed in the threading of MF's side knobs.  The suggestion to turn your own has a lot of merit, as they did use common thread sizes which can be had, so some maple, red dye, the right screw and some epoxy, and Bob's your uncle.
This.......
Yes "Chef's hat" knobs are almost always missing.....But they are easy to make and usually have a standard 5/16" thread...Dom's method is one I use.....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

You know...with no picture, you could just be deceiving us...

Myself, I've never found side knobs of much use on the smaller (not breast drill) eggbeaters.