Home Theater
Right around 2001, we set up a home theater with a Pioneer Elite 730 rear projection TV, and a Bose Lifestyle surround system.

Magnificent.

It was the cat's meow....., big time. .....Er....then.

However, technological advances with regards to video options dictates an update is due.

I'll probably retain the Bose system, which is perfect, but let's see what you suggest about the video side.

I'm listening....
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
How big? 75" TVs aren't that expensive and look great. If you need bigger that that, you either have a HUGE room or a small....uh, never mind. (Do you have a big lift kit on your shiny pickup truck or loud pipes on a motorcycle?
Wink )
(01-01-2019, 06:01 PM)JosephP Wrote: How big?  75" TVs aren't that expensive and look great.  If you need bigger that that, you either have a HUGE room or a small....uh, never mind.  (Do you have a big lift kit on your shiny pickup truck or loud pipes on a motorcycle?
Wink )

Funny stuff...

Focusing in 75 inch, as our former set was/is 64 inch.

So, what's your question?
(01-01-2019, 06:08 PM)barnowl Wrote: Funny stuff...

Focusing in 75 inch, as our former set was/is 64 inch.

I was asking how big of a screen you want.

If you are looking at 75" or smaller, I'd just go with the standard screens.  If you were looking for bigger, I'd probably think about a projector instead of a TV.

Since it doesn't sound like you update every time there is something new and shiny, I'd tend towards buying something that won't be out of date in a few years.  So...UltraHD (or 4K - same thing).  Several options at $1500 or less.  I'd probably have looked for black Friday or pre-Christmas sales.  Maybe you can find some good deals on model close-outs.  Won't be major differences in picture quality between 2018 and 2019 models...

I do agree...if you are happy with the sound system, keep it.  I have a friend who upgrades speakers more often than I buy new underwear.  My guess is that his current system is worth more than my car...  His latest set came from out of town because the only "real" home theater store in town (which is not low-end!) couldn't get anything good enough for him.  He is crazy about his music though - and I'll admit that it is amazing the details I can hear (when he points it out).

Raised
Winkgrin
(01-01-2019, 10:16 PM)JosephP Wrote: I was asking how big of a screen you want.

If you are looking at 75" or smaller, I'd just go with the standard screens.  If you were looking for bigger, I'd probably think about a projector instead of a TV.

75" should work out very well for us. At first, I thought it might be a bit too large, until I went to the store. Our viewing distance is 14', and t present, our 64" is quite adequate, however, being a rear projection, the screen is actually 2' closer to our viewing distance. So 65" would probably not suffice. Hence, 75"....

Since it doesn't sound like you update every time there is something new and shiny, I'd tend towards buying something that won't be out of date in a few years.  So...UltraHD (or 4K - same thing).  Several options at $1500 or less.  I'd probably have looked for black Friday or pre-Christmas sales.  Maybe you can find some good deals on model close-outs.  Won't be major differences in picture quality between 2018 and 2019 models...

The set I'm focusing on, is the Samsung Q9FN. Yes, you're right, there is quite an assortment in the price ranges that you quoted, but this set has a far better picture. When we bought the Pioneer Elite, if was the best on the market, and we never regretted it. This particular Samsung might not be quite the "best" on the market, as the consensus is that LG OLED technology leads the way today, but there is a anger of display burn in with OLED. Far less chance with "QLED", Samsung's system.

I do agree...if you are happy with the sound system, keep it.  I have a friend who upgrades speakers more often than I buy new underwear.  My guess is that his current system is worth more than my car...  His latest set came from out of town because the only "real" home theater store in town (which is not low-end!) couldn't get anything good enough for him.  He is crazy about his music though - and I'll admit that it is amazing the details I can hear (when he points it out).

Raised
Winkgrin

My motorcycle didn't have loud pipes.
Laugh
Laugh
I've got a 55 in the sunroom, a 65 in the living room and a 75 in the gameroom.

To be honest, I really don't notice the difference in the size from room to room.

I just bought my son a 4K 65 - but there really isn't any content yet, although now I think he wants a new xbox which supports 4k gaming. and the Chromecast dongle he has supports 4k when there starts to be some content available.

But a few years ago 3D was all that, and I haven't seen anything of that lately.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(01-02-2019, 01:00 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: I've got a 55 in the sunroom, a 65 in the living room and a 75 in the gameroom.

To be honest, I really don't notice the difference in the size from room to room.

I just bought my son a 4K 65 - but there really isn't any content yet, although now I think he wants a new xbox which supports 4k gaming. and the Chromecast dongle he has supports 4k when there starts to be some content available.

But a few years ago 3D was all that, and I haven't seen anything of that lately.

I never thought 3-D would go anyplace. Meh....

Only reason we're replacing this once great set is that the technology has improved greatly.
Really, really impressed with Bose technical support.

Basically, I insured that my 17 year old Lifestyle 35 system had an optical cable input.

Talked to the Bose tech (in the Philippines), and she told me that in order to use the Bose with the optical cable,

I had to program it WITH MY OLD SET!!!, as the new set would not have the correct connectors.

Kudos to Bose.
We.have 120" screen, with a projector. Denon AVR, all came with the house.
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
Hang in there for a few weeks as there will be sales leading up to the Super Bowl