restoring wood bodied planes
I found a reference to using turpentine when I was searching before.  Too bad it's so hard to buy.  And google mostly is talking about how you shouldn't drink it. I might go to the local art supply place and see if they have any
(02-01-2019, 08:50 AM)EricU Wrote: I found a reference to using turpentine when I was searching before.  Too bad it's so hard to buy.  And google mostly is talking about how you shouldn't drink it. I might go to the local art supply place and see if they have any

Old Tyme house painters used turps every day and very few of them lived to be over 100yrs old......
Rolleyes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

The old time painters didn't drink it though.  Go search for turpentine on google, apparently people think it's a health drink. Well, enough people to mess up google search results.

don't think anyone is saying anything about it being particularly toxic through skin contact or breathing the vapors.  

Of course, since we all get the google search results we deserve, maybe they think I'm an person.
Maybe look into a mix.....bit of BLO, bit of Varnish, and a bit of De Natured  Alcohol ( DNA)
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I've been  buying it at Lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jasco-32-fl-oz-...e/50298067
(02-01-2019, 08:50 AM)EricU Wrote: I found a reference to using turpentine when I was searching before.  Too bad it's so hard to buy.  And google mostly is talking about how you shouldn't drink it. I might go to the local art supply place and see if they have any

DuBois Lowes carries turps, so I would imagine State College would. Has that good old smell we all know and have loved for decades!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
yup lowes has it.  I usually just search one of the two borgs because they copy each other.  Maybe I'll remember to buy some alcohol and steel wool this time too.
I stopped using BLO here in Florida—too humid.
The BLO doesn’t cure well and does tend towards mold.
I like to clean patina’ed wood with Murphy’s Soap for starters and go from there.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Murphy's is a good idea, we have some of that. The wood plane seems to have a water line on one side.

If I get it looking good without a finish, I might just wax it.
Lowes had turpentine, but only quarts of alcohol.  Did pinterest come out with a way of using it or are they just a batch of bums at lowes?