restoring wood bodied planes
(02-01-2019, 04:19 PM)EricU Wrote: The old time painters didn't drink it though.  Go search for turpentine on google, apparently people think it's a health drink. Well, enough people to mess up google search results.

don't think anyone is saying anything about it being particularly toxic through skin contact or breathing the vapors.  

Of course, since we all get the google search results we deserve, maybe they think I'm an person.
The smell of turps ought to tell anyone with half a brain that you don't drink it.........but the gubmint suits have succeeded into making everyone under 40 believe that so many things are harmful or worse...mineral spirits is an example..I have had my hands in it so many times I couldn't possibly count...ZERO harmful effects...We did have one mechanic that would break out in a rash if he got it on him...and it can dry your skin out..to counteract that, we would just pour a pint of engine oil in a wash tub and that prevented it.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

sometimes I think that we'd be better off if we convinced people that battery acid was a health drink.
(02-03-2019, 11:55 PM)EricU Wrote: sometimes I think that we'd be better off if we convinced people that battery acid was a health drink.

Yes
Laugh
Laugh

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-02-2019, 09:54 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: I stopped using BLO here in Florida—too humid.
The BLO doesn’t cure well and does tend towards mold.
I like to clean patina’ed wood with Murphy’s Soap for starters and go from there.

Yep - humid here, BLO does not do well here unless you let the part/tool (plane) dry out a long time. The trick is to get it to dry out before it develops mold... it's a shock to pull out the woodies and have mold on them. The last gal can of BLO I had I used to soak the wood I was saving up to build my bench out of.... soaked the boards and left'em outside in the sun and rain for weeks before bringing'em inside. After 10 years, no mold has formed, and refinishing the bench is super easy....

Love the Murphy's.... Dad started using it in the '50's  or '60's and it's been in the family ever since.....
Skip

cleaning up pays off occasionally, I have half a gallon of denatured in my garage.  Might get around to this today, we are in a heat wave and I can do it outside.

Interesting that BLO takes a long time to dry. I have used it as a thread locker, but not on any wood. I always say that Central PA is a temperate rain forest. They start talking about droughts when we have a week without rain.
Eric, next time you're at a Rockler, a Woodcraft or maybe even Sherwin Williams, get a better brand of BLO, such as Behlen. A quart lasts a very long time, and I've never had a problem with it drying (I'm roughly 60 miles from you).

On another topic, early March is the PATINA tool sale and auction in Damacus, MD and at the end of March is the Brown tool sale and auction in Harrisburg. Both great for expanding your accumulation!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tony, thanks.  I am divesting tools, if anything.  I have had both of these planes for at least 20 years.  I thought I would give them a chance before I got rid of them.

I really want to buy better alcohol. The stuff from the big box stores has an awful lot of water.
Have a gander at the "Tool Cleaning" section on The Best Things, one of the premier sources for antique tools.

http://www.thebestthings.com/toolfaqs.htm
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

Thanks, that was an interesting read.  I'm not sure if I care what a person in a museum would do to these planes, but maybe I'll just wax the wood plane like he suggests.  I think I saw the youtube video he was complaining about.  The guy didn't really do any damage with the steel wool he used as far as I can tell.  In general, I would like to remove as much cruft as possible without doing any damage.  Sweat and dirt mixed with body oils covered with wax is not a finish I find particularly appealing.
(02-06-2019, 02:42 PM)EricU Wrote: Thanks, that was an interesting read.  I'm not sure if I care what a person in a museum would do to these planes, but maybe I'll just wax the wood plane like he suggests.  I think I saw the youtube video he was complaining about.  The guy didn't really do any damage with the steel wool he used as far as I can tell.  In general, I would like to remove as much cruft as possible without doing any damage.  Sweat and dirt mixed with body oils covered with wax is not a finish I find particularly appealing.

I would just give them a very thin coat of Tru-Oil....

Get off my lawn !
Upset