PSA... returned from gone
These - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DT...UTF8&psc=1 are very similar to the clamp screws that used to be available from (I think) LV and others. I used a couple to make a bench-on-bench a couple of years ago and then the Jorgensen product disappeared. The screws in the above link are almost identical and the price is right. The screws are 0.73" in diameter. The threaded traveler is larger in diameter than the original Jorgensen, 1.0625" rather than 1". This only matters if you want to bury it in the rear chop (I'm making a Moxon vise). I do, so I ordered a 1 1/16" forstner bit to make the excavation.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
(02-10-2019, 03:15 PM)rectangle618 Wrote: These - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DT...UTF8&psc=1 are very similar to the clamp screws that used to be available from (I think) LV and others.  I used a couple to make a bench-on-bench a couple of years ago and then the Jorgensen product disappeared.  The screws in the above link are almost identical and the price is right.  The screws are 0.73" in diameter.  The threaded traveler is larger in diameter than the original Jorgensen, 1.0625" rather than 1".  This only matters if you want to bury it in the rear chop (I'm making a Moxon vise).  I do, so I ordered a 1 1/16" forstner bit to make the excavation.

There is supposed to be about  .02 clearance between the top of the thread and the root of the matting thread in an acme thread and that standard changes as the diameter gets larger. That would explain the .02 difference between 3/4 ( .75 and .73. If I really wanted to be exact I would look in my machinery hand book. But this is off the top of my head and it has been 30 years since I cut OD and ID acme threads. If I remember right an acme thread has a 28 degree pressure angle. It looks like some of the parts are cast and it will have taper on it. Usually I like a little more clearance when dealing with cast parts. The are never the same size all around. Don't be surprised if you need to get a larger diameter drill.  But please keep us informed in cas someone is interested in making their own vise.

Tom
(02-10-2019, 05:40 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: There is supposed to be about  .02 clearance between the top of the thread and the root of the matting thread in an acme thread and that standard changes as the diameter gets larger. That would explain the .02 difference between 3/4 ( .75 and .73. 
Tom

Tom, thanks for that explanation. In my vise, the threaded shafts will fit through a 3/4" hole in 1 3/4" thick hard maple front chop. No bearings, so it will be a bit loose. It's the O.D. of the 'traveler' (don't know what it's really called) that is larger than 1", and requires a 1 1/16" hole (with notches) to house it in the rear chop. My bench-on-bench was made this way and it works fine. The pivot at the end of the acme screw is held on with one small machine screw, is easily removed, and is not used in my design.
This press screw works well (size and price) for the Moxon vise application.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Please keep us informed of any developments. For some reason, I always wanted to fabricate a Moxxon, but never did as I wanted to utilize this type of hardware and it was unavailable until now.
I've always seen those used as manual glueup presses, mainly gluing up blanks for staircase railing. 12 or so in each clamp assembly.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I used Pony clamp screws to build my Moxon, a half dozen years ago or so. Similar clamp screws are/were available from Grizzly/Shop Fox.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(02-10-2019, 08:28 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I used Pony clamp screws to build my Moxon, a half dozen years ago or so. Similar clamp screws are/were available from Grizzly/Shop Fox.

Tony Z, absolutely correct. Personal preference on my part - I didn't like the double handles/knobs on the Shop Fox clamp screws. One is enough to operate the vise. Outside of that, I see no reason why those wouldn't work well in a Moxon vise.
Mike B.