Pistol Stands
I bought a Hammer A3-41 jointer-planer in December, and wanted to take on a small project with it to get more comfortable, and also because it is cold and I didn't want to have to do anything that would involve opening my garage door for any length of time. So a few hours over a few evenings, and I made these simple pistol stands for 1911s:

[Image: magstand52.JPG]

Started with some hard maple, some off-cuts of Padauk I had in the scrap bin, and a rough walnut plank:
[Image: roughwalnut03.JPG]

Couple trips through the jointer-planer later:
[Image: roughwalnut13.JPG]

A whole lot of parts cut out of stock that was resawn and then planed to dimension:
[Image: magstand48.JPG]

A whole lot of clamps and glue:
[Image: magstand23.JPG]

And a little Danish Oil:
[Image: magstand26.JPG]
[Image: magstand50.JPG]

And I have some mag stands:
[Image: magstand57.JPG]

This is the one I am keeping, not because it is my favorite color combination, but because this is the best mortise and tenon job I've probably ever done.
[Image: magstand59.JPG]
[Image: magstand60.JPG]
[Image: magstand61.JPG]

My favorite color combination - Walnut base with Spalted Tamarind inlay. I am making a jewelry box for my wife in this combination, and I may try to make a couple small ammo boxes as well.
[Image: magstand65.JPG]

And all of them together before I split up the litter:
[Image: magstand69.JPG]

I will be giving them as gifts to friends in the firearms industry who have done all the work to maintain our friendship even though I have been out of it for many years. I learned a lot about my new jointer planer with this project, as well as working with smaller parts and thinner stock than I have previously, and the forethought that goes into doing batch jobs efficiently. So I gained more out of it than I put in, and I consider that a success. Thanks for looking!
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(02-11-2019, 12:08 AM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: I bought a Hammer A3-41 jointer-planer in December, and wanted to take on a small project with it to get more comfortable, and also because it is cold and I didn't want to have to do anything that would involve opening my garage door for any length of time.  So a few hours over a few evenings, and I made these simple pistol stands for 1911s:

[Image: magstand52.JPG]

Started with some hard maple, some off-cuts of Padauk I had in the scrap bin, and a rough walnut plank:
[Image: roughwalnut03.JPG]

Couple trips through the jointer-planer later:
[Image: roughwalnut13.JPG]

A whole lot of parts cut out of stock that was resawn and then planed to dimension:
[Image: magstand48.JPG]

A whole lot of clamps and glue:
[Image: magstand23.JPG]

And a little Danish Oil:
[Image: magstand26.JPG]
[Image: magstand50.JPG]

And I have some mag stands:
[Image: magstand57.JPG]

This is the one I am keeping, not because it is my favorite color combination, but because this is the best mortise and tenon job I've probably ever done.  
[Image: magstand59.JPG]
[Image: magstand60.JPG]
[Image: magstand61.JPG]

My favorite color combination - Walnut base with Spalted Tamarind inlay.  I am making a jewelry box for my wife in this combination, and I may try to make a couple small ammo boxes as well.
[Image: magstand65.JPG]

And all of them together before I split up the litter:
[Image: magstand69.JPG]

I will be giving them as gifts to friends in the firearms industry who have done all the work to maintain our friendship even though I have been out of it for many years.  I learned a lot about my new jointer planer with this project, as well as working with smaller parts and thinner stock than I have previously, and the forethought that goes into doing batch jobs efficiently.  So I gained more out of it than I put in, and I consider that a success.  Thanks for looking!
Nice looking projects.  I really like the 2 in the center.   Whoever gets them is going to enjoy them
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Very nice. Those are quite elaborate.
And nice bunch of 1911s.
The stands certainly look nice, but when would you use them? I would not expect to see guns on display on the coffee table or anywhere they could be grabbed. They belong in a gun safe under lock and key when not being used.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

In one instance, they will most likely be used as a product display. In the others, I imagine they will be used for taking pictures. But otherwise, once given, it is neither my place or inclination to tell my friends what to do with them.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
Wow!  Those look great!
(02-11-2019, 01:06 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: In one instance, they will most likely be used as a product display. In the others, I imagine they will be used for taking pictures. But otherwise, once given, it is neither my place or inclination to tell my friends what to do with them.
Nice work, Johnny !!!!!! They look marvelous !!!!
Yes
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I left a comment earlier but looks like it disappeared?? Great looking stands and some beautiful 1911's!
Beautiful Work.
I made a nice rack, with storage drawers underneath for mags to fit in the gun safe. 
Big Grin
Busy work for cold days... But used forever after.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Very nice looking stands and guns.  I enjoy these smaller projects give more instantaneous satisfaction than big huge ones that take weeks or even months.    I am curious.  What is the purpose of the notch in the vertical support about an inch from the top?