chisels
Hi all:

I have wanted to spring for a nice new set of chisels for awhile now.  I currently use Narex chisels and despite what I have read from various reviews, I can get them very sharp and usable; if I had to criticize anything it would be that I sharpen them fairly frequently, probably more than I would have to with other chisels/steel.  I see that Lee Valley has free shipping through April 16th and have always heard good things about the Veritas PM-V11 Bench Chisels.  The whole set is over $500 which I am willing to spend as long as they are worth it as I love hand-tool work.  Question for the experts here - are these chisels worth the money?  Should I be looking at anything else in terms of a good quality/price ratio?  Any other comments or suggestions?  As always, thanks in advance for your advice...FPT

PS: what about the Sweetheart chisels from Lie Nielsen?
How about Barr chisels?

https://barrtools.com/product-category/c...isel-sets/

I don't know, they all look good to me, I’m sure you would be good with either/any of the above.  

I’ve used a set of Hirsch chisels for years along with various vintage (especially for the smaller sizes) and am happy.  My most often used are a set of yellow handled Stanley’s - one saved my butt the other day due to its short length...

One thing to consider is ease of sharpening...  there is a compromise between holding an edge and difficulty in sharpening. That’s why I like O1, personally.

I do love the socket chisels though...  if I had to pick, it would be that style.
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
(04-11-2019, 08:59 PM)fptahoe Wrote: Hi all:

I have wanted to spring for a nice new set of chisels for awhile now.  I currently use Narex chisels and despite what I have read from various reviews, I can get them very sharp and usable; if I had to criticize anything it would be that I sharpen them fairly frequently, probably more than I would have to with other chisels/steel.  I see that Lee Valley has free shipping through April 16th and have always heard good things about the Veritas PM-V11 Bench Chisels.  The whole set is over $500 which I am willing to spend as long as they are worth it as I love hand-tool work.  Question for the experts here - are these chisels worth the money?  Should I be looking at anything else in terms of a good quality/price ratio?  Any other comments or suggestions?  As always, thanks in advance for your advice...FPT

You will receive dozens of different recommendations ... because there are many factors to consider, and everyone chooses the aspect that is most important to them.

Consider that there are different types of bench chisels and how they are used. A Japanese bench chisel is best used with a gennou (steel hammer). This aids in precision. Is this what you want? Or do you want a unhooped wooden handle, which is designed to be held? That is another option ... if so, how do you like holding the chisel handle - the Veritas and LN/Stanley handles and balance is quite different.

Then there is steel, which should go hand-in-hand with sharpening. A2 (from LN) is quite different in feel and durability from PM-V11 (from Veritas). O1 steel is easiest to hone, which places less stress on sharpening, but also holds an edge the shortest time. If you want the steel to hold an edge the longest, then most Japanese chisels with white steel will do the best job. Closely followed by PM-V11. A2 and O1 are a long way behind.

But chisels are not just about the blade. They are about control and comfort. Hold a few different ones in your hand and see which you prefer. I like the Veritas and do not like the LN/Stanley (I replaced the handles on my vintage #750s). Some feel it is the other way around.

[Image: VeritasChiselReview_html_m819b234.jpg]

A couple of reviews: I reviewed the Veritas O1 chisels when they came out. The handles and balance descriptions are the same as the PM-V11 steel. Other chisels are discussed for comparison:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...eview.html

With regard to chisel steel, this is a comparison of different types:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...pared.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Rob Cosman recommends the IBC bench chisels. Some of the advantages touted include the through tang with screw-on cap, well machined backs that minimize initial prep, good balance, A2 steel. The handles are removable/replaceable that allows the chisel to be sharpened/prepped without the ferrule interfering. His price for a set of 6 chisels is about $100 less than what you are considering currently.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(04-11-2019, 08:59 PM)fptahoe Wrote: Hi all:

Derek is right there are lots of preference and situational pieces here.

In my mind you have 3 considerations. 

Feel-  Chisels are a hand directed tool so feel comfort and control are top priorities.  For example while I think the LV chisels are fantastically made they dont quite fit my XXL hands as comfortably as the LN.  I also happen to like the blue spruce particularly in the pairing configuration.  Japanese chisels are nice but I prefer imperial sizing, and it seems to me the price of good Japanese chisels is now more equivalent to western chisels.

Use case-  What is the intended use for the chisels?  pairing? mortising? chopping?  general purpose bench chisels?  if you are primarily chopping you wont be holding the handle as much as the blade.  Paring some like long handles some like butt chisels.  And so on.

Steel and sharpening media-  I personally think a steel like a2 sharpens better on diamonds or certain water stones than on less hard sharpening media.  01 sharpens nicely on anything. I have no PMV11 but it is supposed to be easier than a2 to sharpen but hold an edge longer than 01.  This also gets into a conversation on what angle you sharpen the bevel or microbevel of whatever chisels you use.  A steeper angle will generally hold an edge longer.  A shallower is sharper but weaker.  What angle are you putting on your Narex?

Weigh these based on which parts you value and what your needs are.

Since I am guessing about you are talking about bench chisels, I think LV, LV and Blue spruce are all worthy choices.  I have heard fantastic things about Barr but have no personal experience.  To me they seem to lean to the timber framing end of the woodworking spectrum... jmo

I think the best thing you could do would be to get your hands on them.  Where do you live?  perhaps there is a nice WW store around that has all 3 or a fellow woodnetter or two you could check out before you buy.
As others said, you’ll get a lot of advice here, perhaps more than you can handle! My one piece here will be to suggest that you do not buy a “set”. Just get a couple of what you think are the best sizes for you, depending on your use. Most of us can make do with 3-4 chisels total and that includes chopping, paring, and mortising.

Kevin
Absolutely agree: maybe a 1/4" and 1/2" and live with them a while.

(04-12-2019, 07:33 AM)kwadams Wrote: As others said, you’ll get a lot of advice here, perhaps more than you can handle! My one piece here will be to suggest that you do not buy a “set”. Just get a couple of what you think are the best sizes for you, depending on your use. Most of us can make do with 3-4 chisels total and that includes chopping, paring, and mortising.

Kevin
I have and used Narex. Compared to LV-pmVII, Narex are "blocky" in hand but feel solid in use. LV are more pleasant to use due to edge retention. Diamond in paste form on steel plates is my sharpening and honing medium.

To Japanese laminated steel. I have some cheap $20 (and HSS comp. to pmV in price) and are a project to sharpen. The steel seems brittle--my cheaper set require care in use. That said, the steel holds its edge an incredible time. They follow metric sizing so hybrid sizing can get squirrely. Mine are closer to bench size, a stubby 9 to 10 inches and handle much differently than the western chisels. There is no comfort in paring use. 

As to moving to a different maker, try one or two sizes first. You will likely need to buy since it can take a while to grow accustomed to vagaries of each. If sets are important, be sure to start at the smallest and end at the widest available. Even then you likely won't use half, but will settle on two or three sizes. But, people like sets of very good steel when you need to sell. Also, chopping deep excavations require a mortice chisel. I find the Narex brand usable and a value.
I have a set of the LV chisels. I like them and I think they are very good chisels.
My chisel drawer. My set of LN A2 chisels are my favorites, and I use them on every project. 
[Image: 46871162454_675f5444b1_b.jpg]