Bench Dog hole drilling jig?
You can get 3/4" drill bushings in various lengths for about $20.

I'd build-up a couple of layers of BB plywood, drill a 1" hole with a drill press, and press the bushing into said hole.

Should be extremely accurate.
Timely question!

I built a split-top roubo a while back.. Told myself I'd use it for a while and only start drilling holes for hold-fasts once I found myself saying "I need a dog hole here" a couple times.. Took a while but I too am at the point where I want to drill a few. 

Figured I'd drill a 3/4" hole through a thick piece of hardwood with the drill-press, and then use that as a guide for a hand-held drill with an auger bit.
(04-23-2019, 10:43 AM)SteveVoigt Wrote: The last time I built a bench, I used a 10" brace and a 3/4" auger bit. A couple squares on the bench to align the bit is all you need. No jigs required.

This is what I did as well.  Easy peasy, just take your time and they come out great.  My 3.5" thick ash top drilled faster than you'd think by hand.
~ Chris
(04-22-2019, 08:36 PM)Jack01 Wrote: I am building a split top workbench.
I just completed the bench top and ready to drill 3/4 inch holes.

Looking for suggestions , also ideas on jig .

Thanks

Jack, when I added 3/4" round dog holes for hold downs, these were drilled with a 12" brace and auger. As Steve mentioned, the only jig needed is a pair of large squares to use as sighting guides. 12" combination square are good for this.

[Image: IDeclareThisBenchFinished_html_m3e3f75d4.jpg]

There are couple of tricks you can use to make this easier.

The first one is to start the holes with a 3/4" router bit. This would need to be a upcut bit (in, obviously, a power router). A depth of 1" will offer registration for vertical. Or, you could drill a 3/4" hole through a 1" block of wood to start. Same deal.

The second trick is to instead drill a 1/16" pilot hole. Go down as deeply as you can. Then place the lead screw in the hole, and auger away. The pilot how will do all the hard work. You cannot imagine how easy it is to drill though rock hard timber using this method.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(04-24-2019, 06:48 AM)cwarner Wrote: This is what I did as well.  Easy peasy, just take your time and they come out great.  My 3.5" thick ash top drilled faster than you'd think by hand.

This.

Don't over complicate it. Easy job.