Strange lust for hand planes
(06-10-2019, 12:03 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I can't help myself! I hate materialism, yet I can't stop myself from buying hand planes I don't need. I wonder if it's a recoverable condition? 25 years and counting. Even with a useless right shoulder, I love to push a well tuned antique hand plane through a piece of wood, then carefully placing it back on the shelf; pain for hours ensues from my complaining right shoulder yet I cannot stop! I better go see a head shrink!
"Strange" to me is NOT having that lust........
Crazy
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Can someone define strange?

If you're on this forum, here are the major points of normal:
1. Checking for sale list on WN at least twice a day
2. Checking "first Monday" sale items on "Old Tools" list EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK
3. Checking Josh Clark's website for new listings everyday
4. Getting night sweats the night before Patrick Leach posts his monthly for sale
5. Checking Martin's listings, reading EVERY auction listing
6. Stealthfully sneaking into the Patina gatherings, so as to not be noticed by others stealthfully sneaking in
7. Checking all Fine Tool Sale auction listings and not missing their tool sales

When are you in trouble? When you wake one fine morning, not remembering day or days before, and wondering why you're in this van down by the river.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Happy to read that I am not alone. I only have 14. Thank you all.
(06-10-2019, 01:04 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Can you learn to plane left-handed?

I tried, just can't get the motion right.
Now where is that chisel
(08-21-2019, 04:35 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I tried, just can't get the motion right.

Get some Japanese planes and learn to pull toward yourself.
WoodTinker
I have one rule. I can’t keep a plane unless it’s sharp and ready to be used. That controls my plane addiction some, since I really dislike sharpening. The rule gets to be a real pain when it comes to the Stanley 45 and the other plow planes I own.

Even with that rule, I have a little less than 70 total planes. I tend to ignore the internet sales and local yard sales. Recently I had a moment of weakness. I picked up a couple of rusted planes for $1 each at a local yard sale. One Stanley #4 and a Sargent low angle block plane. The #4 turned out to be from the late 1800s and the name etched on the side was a distant relative from that time period. After a bath in evaporust, I repaired the wood tote and sharpened them up. They both turned into nice users. The pic includes a little Oak Leaf brand plane I cleaned up at the same time.

Attached Files Image(s)

John
The only thing different that I can add to this thread is that I have 15, so I am a piker, but they are among the few things that I packed up and took with us when we had to evacuate for hurricane Matthew in 2016. All other real and personal property is expendable.