Tree Work Cost
Hi All,

Just wanted to run this by the gang.  Got a quote from what I think is a reputable company to come in and do some tree work in my back yard.  It will involve taking down about 7 trees, and then trimming up a handful more.  3 guys, lift equipment, and a chipper.  All day rate, 0800-1600.  They will fell the trees, leave the logs, chip all branches.  $1,600.  Feels reasonable to me, but I've never hired out this kind of work and just wanted to double check it's not out of line.

Thanks!
Anytime I've hired tree men, I just prepare myself for sticker shock.

Anytime I've ever said, screw it, I'm gonna do the work myself... I've been in for even worse kind of shock...
Ditto that tree work is exorbitantly expensive hence why few have trees trimmed and why most will buy a chainsaw and do it themselves. That said for felling 7 trees and trimming etc it doesn't sound too bad but without seeing it and how big the trees are it's hard to compare. 

I still have a couple I need to cut down in the back.... A comealong (to fell them where I need them)and a chainsaw and take them down. That will have to wait till fall as it's hell season here in TX so you don't spend any time outside till fall. For what I was quoted to just fell the trees and trim my existing trees I could buy a chipper, splitter, Stihl chainsaw and safety equipment and rent a bucket lift for the trimming and have $ left over. (that was when I had more trees to remove)
        The biggest issue is getting rid of the firewood and grinding the stumps. No one has a need for firewood here anymore.
(07-03-2019, 09:04 AM)brnhornt Wrote: Hi All,

Just wanted to run this by the gang.  Got a quote from what I think is a reputable company to come in and do some tree work in my back yard.  It will involve taking down about 7 trees, and then trimming up a handful more.  3 guys, lift equipment, and a chipper.  All day rate, 0800-1600.  They will fell the trees, leave the logs, chip all branches.  $1,600.  Feels reasonable to me, but I've never hired out this kind of work and just wanted to double check it's not out of line.

Thanks!

You didn't say how large the trees are, but for 7 trees 12" or more in diameter, $1600 would be a bargain to take them down where I live. 

John
I would check out Tree Masters out of Medina
I'm sure there's a regional bias in such cost, but in west Ohio I've had them out a couple of times with 2 guys and a bucket truck and chipper for an 8 hour day, it was always around $800. Last summer I had 2 crews (4 folks), 2 trucks and chippers for about 6 hours total....that was $1600. I'd say your estimate is probably in line with what I would pay...which reminds me, I need to call them back this year.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-03-2019, 09:53 AM)fixtureman Wrote: I would check out Tree Masters out of Medina

I'd invite 

JosephP over for a BBQ and tell him to bring his saw.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

That doesn't sound out of line to me at all.  Especially since it includes trimming.  I don't know about OH, but when I was doing tree work in CT in the mid to late 70's, you needed an arborist's (or tree surgeon's) license to do any trimming at all, or even to use the terms "tree expert" or "arborist" or "tree surgeon" or whatever.  CT was pretty prickly about that.  And for a licensed pro, you're going to pay.  As you should, IMO.  
Yes 

DW's sister hired some dude out here to trim some trees.  He climbed them with 3" gaffs.  Left a whole bunch of pockets in the trunks, and at my age even I could have climbed them with no gear.  That's what you get for hiring "some dude".  But hey, his price was much lower than Davey or Bartlett or one of the many independent licensed tree experts around here.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(07-03-2019, 09:14 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Anytime I've hired tree men, I just prepare myself for sticker shock.

Anytime I've ever said, screw it, I'm gonna do the work myself... I've been in for even worse kind of shock...

LOL!  I'm not messing with this kind of work.
(07-03-2019, 09:44 AM)jteneyck Wrote: You didn't say how large the trees are, but for 7 trees 12" or more in diameter, $1600 would be a bargain to take them down where I live. 

John

Good point.  They are all 12-24 in diameter, but mostly close to 12....thanks for the input!