Used Jointer Questions
(07-15-2019, 09:27 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: Good food for thought. I'll probably start with a new set of knives before I take the plunge.

I got knives from Holbren, good price; they also sell Byrd heads.....  :-)    "Brian from Sunny Florida" posts here often.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-15-2019, 12:38 PM)Admiral Wrote: I got knives from Holbren, good price; they also sell Byrd heads.....  :-)    "Brian from Sunny Florida" posts here often.

Check and check. Already ordered new knives from Holbren. Previously bought my planer head thru them. Their prices are great and customer service is top-notch so worth repeating in case someone reads this who hasn't heard of them.
(07-15-2019, 08:09 AM)Admiral Wrote: Good for you.  I know, I may start a flame war, but I really don't see the need for a byrd head on a jointer; a planer perhaps, but with a set of new knives, with a touchup from time to time, mine does just fine.  Think about it, everything you face joint gets put into the planer anyway, and maybe its my habit of jointing edges before final glue up/assembly with a #7, but I've never seen a need for a new head.  But congrats on your purchase, you must be pleased.

No flame war intended here Rich, but from someone who's had two jointers with knives and then converted my ShopFox 8 incher over to a Byrd head a few years ago that I also bought from Brian, there is absolutely no comparison IMO. I also bought the SF 15" planer with the Griz spiral carbide cutterhead on it. Can't tell the difference. They are both a joy to use and as yet I haven't had to rotate the inserts on either.

It's like a lot of other things in life, if you try it you might like it. I know I would never go back again. Reminds me of how I felt about my flip phone before we decided to upgrade to smartphones - no comparison.

Congrats to the OP on your "new" jointer!!!

Doug