choosing between two 10in bandsaws
Hi,

I would like to get advice on choosing between two bandsaws: WEN 10in or Rikon 10in (10-306). Never had or used bansaw before. I intend to use it mostly to rip/resaw softwood (for example 2x4), maybe also some thinner hardwood. I guess wih 4tpi 3/8in blade for everything.

Advantages I see for WEN are: standard size of the blade, possibility to order and pick up from local Home Depot, 6in thick resawing.

Advantages for Rikon: lever for quick tensioning, maybe better design/quality?
However blade length is non-standard.

I would appreciate comments on other aspects of bandsaws which I may not know or considered, thanks.
Miroslaw
(07-31-2019, 12:21 PM)omark Wrote: Hi,

I would like to get advice on choosing between two bandsaws: WEN 10in or Rikon 10in (10-306). Never had or used bansaw before.  I intend to use it mostly to rip/resaw softwood (for example 2x4), maybe also some thinner hardwood. I guess wih 4tpi 3/8in blade for everything.

Advantages I see for WEN are: standard size of the blade, possibility to order and pick up from local Home Depot, 6in thick resawing.

Advantages for Rikon: lever for quick tensioning, maybe better design/quality?
However blade length is non-standard.

I would appreciate comments on other aspects of bandsaws which I may not know or considered, thanks.
Miroslaw

I vote for the Rikon.  I own the older version (model 10-305) painted gray and sold at Sears as a Craftsman tool. It has been a very capable saw and finding 70.5 inch blades has been no trouble.

Note the WEN has a 3.5 amp motor while the Rikon 10-306 has a 5.5 amp motor.

If you have a Menards store near you, you can order it and they will ship to the store.  I've not read the fine print on the Menards advertisement but about once a month they offer 11% off everything and special order bandsaws might be included.  That would reduce the price to $355

Mike
The cost of those new is close to the cost of a used 14" delta clone saw.  Unless you just want a 10" bandsaw, I would prefer used 14".  Especially if you want to resaw a 2x4.
(07-31-2019, 06:02 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: The cost of those new is close to the cost of a used 14" delta clone saw.  Unless you just want a 10" bandsaw, I would prefer used 14".  Especially if you want to resaw a 2x4.
 I agree.  I had a 9 or 10 inch Craftsman, can't remember which, and eventually moved up.  A 14 inch bandsaw is in a totally different class than a 10" .  For me,  I didn't want to dedicate the space, and I liked that I could store it out of the way when not used.  It did a nice job cutting curves in some cabriole legs,  but for what you are describing, if you can afford the space, I would go with a 14 inch machine.  Used they can be found pretty cheap.  BTW,  I actually had the 14 inch for only a few days, it was on sale at lowes, but was horribly set up, so I returned it,  bit the bullet and went to a 17 inch Grizzly.   It can be a slippery slope once you get on it.
Don't worry about getting blades locally. The good ones are only available mail-order anyway. I mean, it's fine to stick an off-the-rack home-center blade into the saw for rough work, especially if you might hit some metal, but you'll be amazed at how much better a good blade will make the saw work.

I have a 10" saw that I used successfully for several years. I learned to work around the size limitations and got it to work pretty well. I eventually acquired a 14" saw but still keep the 10" saw in the corner for little jobs. A 10" saw is a good entry-level option. You can always trade up later if you find yourself pushing its limitations.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Of those two, the Rikon. I don’t care what their marketing department says, that WEN would never make it through 6” lumber.
-Marc

Of those two, the rikon would generally be judged to be the better saw.  Only you can evaluate whether the benefits outweigh the cost difference.
(similar for other options, like going with a larger saw)

Blades -- you can buy easily mail order (my last set came from Lee Valley when they offered free shipping).  I'd recommend buying a small set of blades so that you have your spare on-hand.
If you have them local, Rockler or Woodcraft would probably stock the size for the rikon.
I've also seen some folks report happy results by going to a local shop for commercial/industrial supplies that welds blades to length.  I haven't done this.

If you allow it, the forums will soon be advocating you not stop for anything less than a 36" vintage c-frame bandsaw.
I've got a 16" and a 10" bandsaw.  The bigger saw is much better for thick cuts and has a larger table and throat clearance for larger workpieces, but I use the 10" more frequently for day-to-day cuts.  

Good luck!

Matt
When I first started WW - 50 yo - Wen was what I used - mistake because I pushed things too far with my tools.  Cheaper ones just can't take it.  I like have the Rikon looks but have no experience - they do have fair to good reviews.  I do not know how good HF 12-14 does.  BS aren't exact tools IMO so maybe HF would work.  It sounds like you might push a 10 in.  Consider a larger one - you would be happy.  BUT - if all you can afford is the 10" then I vote for the Rikon.

The Craftsman looks the same/similar - don't know what the cost is.  Might be one to consider also.  I had one of their 3 wheeled ones - never again; two wheeled ones only.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I've had 2 10" saws.  First was an older Delta Homecraft that I rebuilt.  It was a cast iron saw that I mounted on a piece of maple with the motor and a switch.  Nice little saw.

I gave it to a friend after I came across an ad for an INCA 10" for around 100 bucks.  Still have that saw, I use it for fairly small work, but it does well.  INCA was a fairly high end Swiss  manufacturer back in the day.

These newer saws don't compare to the older machines.  I second the notion that instead of getting a 10" saw, go for a 14" Delta or one of the clones.  That will do much more for you than one of the new 10" saws. If you are set on one of these two, I would go with the Rikon if for no reason that it has a better rep for making woodworking tools.
If I needed a part in 5 years I'd have more confidence in Rikon. Also the power difference.