The Sharpening of the saw formerly known as the Wally saw
Well, I decided to jump into the deep end and took a stab at sharpening the saw formerly known as the Wally saw.  
I don't have a saw vise, although I will be making a simple plywood version at some point.  I had the proper file and file gauge so I just had at it. Here is what I ended up with.

After my first go at filing the teeth I noticed that was a hollow toward the middle of the plate, where most of the previous sawing was probably done.  I then decided to joint the saw to get it all lined up. This left me with much smaller gullets than I had started with and although its hard to see in the pic, some of the teeth are less than half the size of the adjacent tooth in the hollow zone: not sure when or how that happened.  At this point, I will be in the market for a saw set at a minimum.  

The big revelation was the substantial improvement in cutting ability after the sharpening but before the jointing: it sailed through 3/4" cherry. It felt rough and had a slight bias to the left, but it was sharper.  

Stay tuned for future installments!
Nice.  I need to get into a bit of saw sharpening.  Did you follow any specific instructions from a "master sharpener" or just kind of go at it with what felt right?
I did review a number of tutorials, but if I had followed the directions, I probably would have jointed first. Its a learning curve, and I am holding on for dear life.

(10-02-2019, 01:25 PM)stav Wrote: Nice.  I need to get into a bit of saw sharpening.  Did you follow any specific instructions from a "master sharpener" or just kind of go at it with what felt right?
(10-02-2019, 03:02 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I did review a number of tutorials, but if I had followed the directions, I probably would have jointed first. Its a learning curve, and I am holding on for dear life.  

Read Taran's primer.  Get yourself LVs guide, its a great help keeping the angles aligned.  Two of the best things I did; after that its practice, and listening to Marv's suggestions. Oh, and always joint, even if its just a little bit.  Then more just practice, followed by more practice.  Get a few beaters....

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Page.as...3072,43086
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I do have the Blackburn Tool file angle gauge and it worked great. Yes, this seems to be a skill that will require practice to master. I will also have to cobble together that saw vise, which should be straight forward. Oh, and I will have to find the time........

(10-02-2019, 06:44 PM)Admiral Wrote: Read Taran's primer.  Get yourself LVs guide, its a great help keeping the angles aligned.  Two of the best things I did; after that its practice, and listening to Marv's suggestions. Oh, and always joint, even if its just a little bit.  Then more just practice, followed by more practice.  Get a few beaters....

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Page.as...3072,43086
(10-02-2019, 07:56 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I do have the Blackburn Tool file angle gauge and it worked great.  Yes, this seems to be a skill that will require practice to master. I will also have to cobble together that saw vise, which should be straight forward.  Oh, and I will have to find the time........

I would have mentioned Issac's holder as well, but I saw him at a CRAFTS of NJ event last month, and he's still not resumed production of them.  I chided him appropriately..... and told him I had to buy the LV version instead.....

As I know you like fine tools, consider the TFWW saw vice; IMO the finest saw vice ever made, based on the Wentworth design, but improved... I bought it and never looked back.

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/GT-SAWV
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Back in 2016, while on a Road Trip, picked a Wentworth No. 1 for $10

Just needed cleaned up....been in use ever since...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Issac's file holder is quite a piece of work: well engineered and constructed.  As far as vises go, the TFWW looks very nice, but I have my eye on something slightly more substantial:

(10-03-2019, 02:49 PM)Admiral Wrote: I would have mentioned Issac's holder as well, but I saw him at a CRAFTS of NJ event last month, and he's still not resumed production of them.  I chided him appropriately..... and told him I had to buy the LV version instead.....

As I know you like fine tools, consider the TFWW saw vice; IMO the finest saw vice ever made, based on the Wentworth design, but improved... I bought it and never looked back.

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/GT-SAWV
My version of the ACME hand saw filer (version 1.0):

Hi Phillip.  I use a saw vise made the same as yours, except that I chamfered the long edges to get those jaws out of the way of your filing strokes.  The big iron monster vise is cool but your saw doesn't get any sharper using one.  As a matter of fact, Daryl Weir used a longer wooden vise he made, very much like yours, and sits down to use it.

Looking at your filing results, I would suggest that you joint the teeth again, but use a red marker to mark every tooth first.  Get a binocular magnifier like LN sells, and look at the flats.  Where the flats are bigger you will find the adjoining gullet or gullets to be shallower.  You will avoid the "cows and calves" that you have now.  When filing, look at the wings on your filing guide to make sure they are level throughout the filing stroke.  After one filing pass look again at the flats (there will still be some).  Make another light filing pass just where the flats still are showing.  

Starting with a dovetail saw was a little ambitious. The best place to start would be with something like a 6 point full-sise rip saw so you can really see the resulting shape of your newly filed teeth. You have the skills needed to sharpen that dovetail saw, with just some more practice. You will also get a feel for when your file is getting dull... which is surprisingly Quick!

Good luck!