Restoring Delta 20" bandsaw
The blades guides and trunnion were all broken. But it’s still worth putting a couple hundred in to get it going. I should have held out for an American made saw but, it’s actually made pretty well. I found the trunnion but at $420.00 plus shipping, no way.
Now where is that chisel
(10-23-2019, 08:45 AM)Smashedfinger Wrote: The blades guides and trunnion were all broken. But it’s still worth putting a couple hundred in to get it going. I should have held out for an American made saw but, it’s actually made pretty well. I found the trunnion but at $420.00 plus shipping, no way.

I had looked online at that saw when I had gotten mine, but it was close to 2k and I think I had paid maybe 1200 or something like that for mine. I was looking a bit the other night and saw what the original guides looked like. They seemed similar to some that Griz put on their higher end saws. That might be a possible source unless they cost as much as carters then just go with carters. Couldnt tell from your pics how much of the original blade guide mounts were still there. If missing, not the end of the world, you can probably fabricate something.
(10-24-2019, 06:26 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: I had looked online at that saw when I had gotten mine, but it was close to 2k and I think I had paid maybe 1200 or something like that for mine.  I was looking a bit the other night and saw what the original guides looked like.  They seemed similar to some that Griz put on their higher end saws.  That might be a possible source unless they cost as much as carters then just go with carters.  Couldnt tell from your pics how much of the original blade guide mounts were still there.  If missing, not the end of the world, you can probably fabricate something.

I'm sure another Taiwanese maker has similar guides but without holding them in my hands, there's no way to know if they will fit. I think I may go with the carters; I found some at sawblades.com but they won't answer any questions about fitment or where they are made. After all; I want American made guides on my Taiwanese made bandsaw! I demand satisfaction! Now to order a viking blade to see if it even tracks.
Now where is that chisel
(10-23-2019, 08:42 AM)Smashedfinger Wrote: Someone needs a hobby besides berating others posts.

Sounds like common sense is not your strong suit. 

Doug
Being a bit bored at work, I did some searching on blade guides. It looks like carter has cornered the market. I didn't see much else, cost wise they look to be around 250. I would think carter has at one time produced a kit for this saw, so they may be it.

There are cheaper guides but probably retrofitting them would be a bit more work and time and they may not spin the largest blade that saw can handle.

As for tracking, as long as the wheels are coplanar, then it all depends on the crown of the tire. How good are those tires?
I think I’ll go with the carters as I cannot seem to find the original guides. No longer available from Delta. The tires look very good; full thickness and no gouging.
Now where is that chisel
(10-24-2019, 12:07 PM)Tapper Wrote: Sounds like common sense is not your strong suit. 

Doug

Look in the mirror I always say. Or get a hobby....like woodworking. There's always one guy that gets his jollies by berating others.
Now where is that chisel
I have it back together and the trunnion I made from Plywood and steel reinforced epoxy is holding well (no table tilt). Now, I just have to get the carter blade guides and start cutting! After I'm sure it runs well, I'll probably sell my older 14" delta 28-203......maybe not.
Thanks all for the advice and help!
Now where is that chisel
(10-25-2019, 08:32 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: Look in the mirror I always say. Or get a hobby....like woodworking. There's always one guy that gets his jollies by berating others.

You asked for help with a problem with a broken part for the bandsaw you're attempting to restore/fix. I, along with others offered a couple of plausible solutions. By your own words you indicated you were too lazy to try to match the defective part on another brand/model.

"I'm sure there are other band saws that use that same trunnion; randomly searching parts diagrams isn't in my fun list!"

Best of luck with that plywood and epoxy. BTW, attempting to patronize me is also not one of your long suits.

Doug
Just going to point out that the guy with 12,000 posts who has been on her for 20 years likely isn’t going anywhere.

OP, how much could return shipping be for the Grizzly trunnion? $50 at most? Might be worth the chance of it fitting, given the time you’re investing in the restore. I have to remind myself that though I restore for fun and enjoyment, it’s okay to spend a few bucks too. Looking good by the way!