Stuck Adapter in chuck
I have an Talon chuck that is a few years old that I used to use on a smaller lathe with a 1x8 adapter in it.   I got rid of the older lathe and bought a new one, but it requires a 1 1/4" adapter.   I've removed the 3 set screw in the adapter, but the adapter is still stuck in the chuck.  I've applied about as much pressure as I am comfortable with applying, but don't seem to be able to break it loose.  Any suggestions how to get that adapter out of the chuck so I can replace it with a larger one?

Thanks,
Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
(10-16-2019, 09:05 PM)Bit_Fiddler Wrote: I have an Talon chuck that is a few years old that I used to use on a smaller lathe with a 1x8 adapter in it.   I got rid of the older lathe and bought a new one, but it requires a 1 1/4" adapter.   I've removed the 3 set screw in the adapter, but the adapter is still stuck in the chuck.  I've applied about as much pressure as I am comfortable with applying, but don't seem to be able to break it loose.  Any suggestions how to get that adapter out of the chuck so I can replace it with a larger one?

Thanks,
Dave

Heat it with a propane torch then try removing it.
Dave, IIRC, you use two of the set screws in two off-set holes to break the insert loose.  It has been a few years, so I hope I'm remembering correctly.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(10-17-2019, 07:23 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Dave, IIRC, you use two of the set screws in two off-set holes to break the insert loose.  It has been a few years, so I hope I'm remembering correctly.

This is correct.  3 screws pull it in when installing, 2 push it out.

Don't put in your new adapter dry, use a little neversieze. And don't get the screws too tight.
(10-17-2019, 09:41 AM)hairy Wrote: This is correct.  3 screws pull it in when installing, 2 push it out.

Don't put in your new adapter dry, use a little neversieze. And don't get the screws too tight.
Squirt some WD-40, brake fluid , ATF or something to try get it loose.

As a last resort, you may have to attach the chuck onto the drive spindle, and try and drive it off that way. Put some brass between the hammer and the chuck. If you hit real hard you may damage the headstock bearings.