Ow Ow Ow Ow - Bad Router Choices
So I was doing something that was both risky and repetitive this evening, which was climb cutting the sides of some drawer dadoes by shimming the fence so I wouldn't have to adjust it. I was tired and grumpy and should have taken a break, but instead I said "I'll just plow through this last batch." I was running the boards through with a gripper, but I put it down for a moment to do something else, and didn't pick it back up. Was pushing a piece through with my bare hand when it caught, shot forward, and I drove my pinky into the 3/4" bit.

I cut the top half of my left thumb off about 18 years ago, when I learned why one doesn't use a fence and a miter gauge at the same time, so I have some experience in these things. Grabbed my pinky tight with good pressure and went running into the house. Wife was making spaghetti, ironically enough. I shouted "something bad happened, turn the water to cold, quick."

She said, "I'm cooking. Go use the other bathroom."
I said, "I just cut my (four tine'd eating utensil)ing hand. Turn on the sink!"
She said, "Not until you apologize for yelling and swearing!"
I held my blood-covered hand up and said "I am (synonym for procreation)ing bleeding, turn on the (one reason for an MPAA 'R' rating)ing sink!"
She said "You will bleed out before I turn on that sink if you don't apologize right now."
So I apologized, and she turned on the sink.

Anyways, I am 'fortunate' with respect to the fact that it looks like mostly superficial damage. Ate a couple chunks of flesh, bled everywhere, but I still have full movement. I sealed it up with some super glue and a couple of bandaids, and I am back in action. But if anyone can learn a lesson from my bad choices, I'd recommend not doing risky things, not getting sloppy over time if you choose to do them anyways, and not yelling at your wife, even when you are bleeding.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I had one of those router experiences, lost a lot of flesh but no major damage.  My wife was hosting a Vacation Bible School planning meeting.  I grabbed my fingers, burst into the house, asked her to take me to ER, asked one lady to turn off the router table, another lady to put up my dog and lock up the house.

We have to work safe and keep the wives happy.  Hope you heel quickly.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(11-17-2019, 09:48 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: So I was doing something that was both risky and repetitive this evening, which was climb cutting the sides of some drawer dadoes by shimming the fence so I wouldn't have to adjust it.  I was tired and grumpy and should have taken a break, but instead I said "I'll just plow through this last batch."  I was running the boards through with a gripper, but I put it down for a moment to do something else, and didn't pick it back up.  Was pushing a piece through with my bare hand when it caught, shot forward, and I drove my pinky into the 3/4" bit.

I cut the top half of my left thumb off about 18 years ago, when I learned why one doesn't use a fence and a miter gauge at the same time, so I have some experience in these things.  Grabbed my pinky tight with good pressure and went running into the house.  Wife was making spaghetti, ironically enough.  I shouted "something bad happened, turn the water to cold, quick."

She said, "I'm cooking.  Go use the other bathroom."
I said, "I just cut my (four tine'd eating utensil)ing hand.  Turn on the sink!"
She said, "Not until you apologize for yelling and swearing!"
I held my blood-covered hand up and said "I am (synonym for procreation)ing bleeding, turn on the (one reason for an MPAA 'R' rating)ing sink!"
She said "You will bleed out before I turn on that sink if you don't apologize right now."
So I apologized, and she turned on the sink.

Anyways, I am 'fortunate' with respect to the fact that it looks like mostly superficial damage.  Ate a couple chunks of flesh, bled everywhere, but I still have full movement.  I sealed it up with some super glue and a couple of bandaids, and I am back in action.  But if anyone can learn a lesson from my bad choices, I'd recommend not doing risky things, not getting sloppy over time if you choose to do them anyways, and not yelling at your wife, even when you are bleeding.

Sorry to hear about your finger.  I think she may have crossed the line about "in sickness and in health".  I had something similar with my wife.  The expletives came out after I spoke calmly and she said "Can it wait I just poured a cup of coffee"  

I had just shattered my ankle I and asked if she could come home and give me a ride to the hospital.  I guess when I said could you come give me a ride I broke my leg in a calm voice she thought I said something else.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Yep. I'm wondering if it was my initial calm that didn't fully register with her. Perhaps if I'd come in hot from the get-go, it might have gotten the sink going sooner. Either way, I'd probably still be in the dog house.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(11-17-2019, 10:46 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: Yep. I'm wondering if it was my initial calm that didn't fully register with her.  Perhaps if I'd come in hot from the get-go, it might have gotten the sink going sooner.  Either way, I'd probably still be in the dog house.

yep always something
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Sorry to hear of your accident and thanks for the reminder. Glad it wasn't more serious - heal up soon!

Doug
Wish I could point a finger and go "Nanny nanny boo boo!"----------but I can't
Smirk
No

Been there done similar. Felt really stupid after.

Wives are often unsympathetic. Let them get hurt and the sky is falling.
Look at my user name. Been there done that. Except this was a TS. Just got sloppy.
Uhoh Thanks for the safety reminder, glade it was you and not your son. Of course, he's probably more cautious. 
Big Grin
Always better to use a handheld router for climb cutting than a table mounted router.
And the depth of cut is very important.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yep, have a piece of bone missing from the knuckle on the right finger from a jointer- I finally figured out pads were a good idea.

My hands are so scarred, it's hard to remember where they all came from.

As I get older, I'm finally resorting to using gloves to protect the scars.