backsaw with hybrid filing
Derek, what you wrote about glue is true of PVA but not true with other glues. I should have said that. PVA likes high joint pressure, which you can only get with smooth mating surfaces. Epoxy and hide glue will extrude out of a joint under high pressure. The rough surface maintains the bond line thickness.

PVA has poor gap filling properties. Epoxy and hide glue are stiffer and able to transmit load across a gap.

If you guys want to discuss, let’s start a new thread. Otherwise this has been a good discussion.

I don’t have the new Seaton Chest book, so I’m learning new things.

Just in case I need to remind you guys; Warren is my friend and he’s a better woodworker than I am. He’s both better naturally and he has more experience. I’ve learned a lot from him. Not saying he’s wrong on this point, but I need all the help I can get. I can’t take shortcuts. I rely on simple techniques I can repeat. Maybe in 20 years I’ll file all my saws rip. Until then, I’m making it easy on myself and using a cross cut saw for cross cuts (go figure).
(12-09-2019, 10:22 AM)DCarr10760 Wrote: I just assumed that Adam's point was that Tage Frid didn't appear to use handsaws too much as evidenced by the photo in which there are no handsaws shown at all.  Meaning that his opinions on saw filing should be seen in that context.

All of the stories I heard about Frid (who I admire) show that he was a no nonsense kinda guy that used whatever expedient he could to get the job done.

One story involved a student asking where he got the short butt chisel that he used to demonstrate chopping dovetail waste and he replied, "the hardware store."  Turned out that his method for sharpening was to grind a bevel freehand on a belt grinder and "honing" on a buffing wheel (it works!).  Years of doing this had ground the bench chisel into a butt chisel!

The other story (might've been the same profile in FWW) involved his wife asking him to bring some pork chops in from the freezer, when he did, he brought the whole loin to the shop and cut the loin into chops on his bandsaw!

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if he filed all of his saws rip and then lived with rough crosscuts, cleaning them up later in some other way.  "Whatever works" I guess.

David C.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Turned out that his method for sharpening was to grind a bevel freehand on a belt grinder and "honing" on a buffing wheel (it works!). Years of doing this had ground the bench chisel into a butt chisel!

You bet buffing works...I have kept a muslin buff on one of my bench grinders for years just for that purpose...I have a leather buff/strop wheel on another grinder...Most times I can put a hair-popping edge back on a chisel or knife in seconds, without going to the belt grinder...Let the buffing compound {and experience} do the work.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset