Brushing lacquer - several concerns
I have a small project finishing MDF for a worktop. I decided to use up some Deft Brushing Lacquer that has been sitting around. After a good stir it was about the consistency of honey, but I sampled it and it spread well and dried quickly, so I put the first coat on both sides of the mdf panel with no apparent problems.

However, this was in my heated basement. What I had not anticipated was the lingering odor (almost half a day) that not only filled the basement but also filtered into the living quarters upstairs. I need at least one, maybe two, more coats to finish off the panel. I would like to move the panel outside to the cold, unheated garage to avoid the smell.

As I  understand it, lacquer is an evaporative finish, so it will dry and cure properly (although maybe slower) in cold temperatures.

QUESTIONS:

1) Am I safe in just completing the finishing outside in the cold garage (right now fluctuates from 30's to 50's)?

2) Should I make a test, and if the drying time seems too slow, can I just add acetone to speed up the drying time?

3) Suggestions on how much acetone additive would be appropriate? It sounds as though acetone can be added at any ratio - it just results in thinner layers of finish.

This is totally new ground for me. I have read Flexner's article ("Speed Up Drying With A Lacquer Additive"; https://www.woodshopnews.com/columns-blo...r-additive) but not sure if I am drawing the right conclusions.

Hoping to draw on the experiences of the Forum.
Thanks,
ajh

I only apply lacquer outdoors, and I've done so in 40˚ temps with no problems. Like you said, it's an evaporative finish. It is slower to dry, but not weeks or months longer. Test it for your own piece of mind, should work well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks, Fred.
I forgot how strong lacquer odor can be (not to mention the health hazards from the fumes). Several lessons learned here.

After you get all that used up, go get some water based brush on for next time. Hardly any smell.
I use Cabot or MinWax brand. Spray or brush.

Take you present panels and lacquer outside. 40-50 degrees is fine.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-04-2020, 08:23 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Thanks, Fred.
I forgot how strong lacquer odor can be (not to mention the health hazards from the fumes). Several lessons learned here.

Don't forget those fumes will go "boom" as well, so if there's a gas water heater or open flame somewhere it's gets a little more hazardous to your health.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.