looking for Stanley 55 spokeshave
Interested in a user grade Stanley #55 spoke shave. The few I see on eBay are generally over-priced as I can buy and spend the time tuning up a Kunz for less money. 

Anybody wanna make an easy $30?

Thanks.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(10-28-2020, 09:00 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Interested in a user grade Stanley #55 spoke shave. The few I see on eBay are generally over-priced as I can buy and spend the time tuning up a Kunz for less money. 

Anybody wanna make an easy $30?

Thanks.

55????
(10-28-2020, 11:47 AM)kencombs Wrote: 55????

In my experience you aren't going to do much better than this:

Stanley 55 Spokeshave
(10-28-2020, 01:31 PM)David Katz Wrote: In my experience you aren't going to do much better than this:

Stanley 55 Spokeshave

Sure hope he got it, I would have its SOLD
I have NEVER seen one lower than 75
south vietnam war collage
When I saw 55 in the OP, I immediately thought of the plane, and 51 spokeshave. Totally forgot the same number was used on the spokeshave also.
(10-28-2020, 01:47 PM)JIMB49 Wrote: Sure hope he got it, I would have its SOLD
I have NEVER seen one lower than 75
Didn't get it.

Jim charges a premium price even for user grade tools. And I don't see any time-line on the sales so not sure how old that is.

The Kunz version is regularly $55 and frequently $45. 

I've used a tuned up Kunz (wow, never thought I'd actually say something like that) and it performed well. But just not a fan of the red and green.
These can be had on eBay for very reasonable prices. Here is the list of recently sold ones:

Recently Sold Stanley 55 Spokeshaves
(10-28-2020, 01:48 PM)kencombs Wrote: When I saw 55 in the OP, I immediately thought of the plane, and 51 spokeshave.   Totally forgot the same number was used on the spokeshave also.

(10-28-2020, 04:13 PM)David Katz Wrote: These can be had on eBay for very reasonable prices. Here is the list of recently sold ones:

Recently Sold Stanley 55 Spokeshaves

Yes, I did my homework to come up with the $30 for a USER condition. 

Those are all completed sales, in which there are a few in the $30 range and missing sufficient Japaning to drop them into a USER category vs. collectable or "minty". One has to start the bidding at some amount after all.

The current crop of available spoke shaves as of a couple days ago were all over $50. One appeared to be a repainted Kunz too.