A recent conversation with BJ about SS gifts on my bench build thread got me to thinking of another SS gift. A SS in a different year - who remained nameless - sent a note that he had read my posts and noticed I liked old B & W books and magazine articles. So he sent several things along with 2 old B & W books. Here's the pic from the old "after SS gift thread":

Now that I kinda sorta have a bench and a lot of suggestions to build something, I thought a re-read of these particular two was in order. I am almost thru with the first one "How to Work with Tools and Wood". It is the official Stanley publication copyrighted in 1942. It has the original Stanley adv pamphlet "The Joy of Accomplishment" with a list "Selecting Tools for a Home Workshop" at the end and ads for "Stanley Tool Guide, Stanley Plans and Book (this book), and more Stanley Plans". While it is at the beginner level, it is 174 pages of very complete descriptions.

I guess it's been enough years now that I can say again, what I think is lost in the current crop of full color book and magazine articles is that much or most of the communication of detail is left up to the pics and color drawings. I do this myself every day in my business and am thankful that a pic can show more than a thousand words. But I don't do ww'ing for a business and when I read the old materials before color printing, the B & W text and drawings had to go the whole nine yards to try to describe whatever complex technique was at hand. That is, while the language is a bit stilted, I find the language much more descriptive (without the color) and really enjoy soaking up the essence of the era at leisure.

What makes the biggest impression now on a re-read is that in there nowhere does it mention how something could be done some other way with power tools. It assumes that if you're going to work your way all the way up to the most difficult joints that you would be using a #55 to do them with....

Next up I'm looking forward to reading again "A Manual for Hand Woodworking" by DeWitt Hunt, copyright 1925. While it only has 141 pages by comparison to the Stanley book, the subjects it does cover are in greater detail. To that nameless SS, once again, thanks very much! Here they are with their brethren back then:
Skip

Very cool. I agree that often the older stuff, despite the silted language of times past, can convey nuances not found in many of the more modern works.

I looks like your SS hit the nail on the head, or should I say "fit the mortise in the tenon" perfectly.
“Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.”
M. C. Escher

Yes - he sent me a rather long note and obviously had spent a good deal of time checking out what I had been saying back then...

In the middle of it he said " I was able to track down a couple of books that I hope you don't already have. Actually, to be truthful I sort of hope you do because after reading through them, I found it a little difficult to put them in the box."

There were 2 guys with us then from the town the box came from, so I think it was one of them, but I'll never know I guess...
Skip

Skip J. said:

There were 2 guys with us then from the town the box came from, so I think it was one of them, but I'll never know I guess...

Time for an update... Last year the above described SS saw this thread and what I said. So... he PM'ed me on the side and revealed who he was... Thanks! Secret Santa! And it was one of the two guys (er persons) I had guessed...

Anyway, I've pulled both of the books out to read again during the holidays... maybe 3rd time is the charm????

Moving on..... everybody saw the recent thread about Jeff Miller's new book... well I followed Megan's link back to the book ad and then her link back to download the first chapter and read it.

Megan - I loved it! Jeff writes very detailed textual descriptions of whatever subject he is on, and his sketches are black and white! There's plenty of text and borders in color, and the photographs are in color. Excellent balance between the two formats!
Skip

Glad you found it useful Skip – tell all your friends ;-)
(BTW: I like old books, too and I, for one, am wont to use stilted language and a lot of it)

Thanks for your kind words Megan!

You bet'cha - I will spread the word......

There is quite a bit of stilted language in the Cabinetmaking and Millwork book by Feirer shown above; but it has the most complete set of drawings of joints I have seen.... except for the book by Joyce I gave away the first year of SS.
Skip

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

UpNorth said:

Hi Ryan;

Good to see you in here again!
Skip

elinourrumming said:

(BTW: I like old books, too and I, for one, am wont to use stilted language and a lot of it)

I, too, have a weakness for old books and antiquated language.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop

Bibliophile 13 said:

[blockquote]elinourrumming said:

I, too, have a weakness for old books and antiquated language.

[/blockquote]
Hello Steve; I bet your old book collection is huge.... I can't say I "like" stilted language; but they sure do bend over backwards to describe in written words what it is the author is trying to communicate.
Skip

Old B & W Books and SS